𝟎𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐙𝐨𝐧𝐞

"That's not gold

"That's not gold." I say disappointed when Kie hands us some sort of envelope. "Holy shit." John B responds looking at it, "This is from my dad."
"Code red. Code red. Square groupers! Square groupers!" JJ says when a car drives near us. "It's the guys who robbed your house." JJ adds when we run to hide. "Turn your light off, man!" Pope yells at John B. "Do you think it's them?" Kie asks. "Homie's got a gun." I tell them. "Screw this." Kie says while we start to run away.

"Kids are gettin' weirder every year." One of the maintainers says.

We arrived at John B's house. While John B opens the envelope, JJ gags because he ate bread that has literal molds on it. John B opens the envelope and pulls out a kind of map, "Holy shit." "Oh. X marks the spot." I say pointing at the map. "Wait, there's something else in here." John B adds. "What's that?" JJ asks. "It's a tape recorder, dumbass." I respond. It had a message from big John on it for John B.

Later that night I went out to get some snacks at the supermarket. That's when I noticed that the new guy, Jacob, works here now. I grab my stuff and walk over to him. "Oh hey!" He greets me when he notices me. "Hey. So you work here now?" I ask him. "Yeah, It's my first day." "Oh nice." There was an awkward silence. "So, how are you." He asks me to kill the silence. "Yeah good. What about you?" "I'm alright." He finishes scanning my snacks. "Well, I guess i'll see you around then." I say getting my stuff and walk away. "Wait!" He yells so I turn around, "You have anyone to share those snacks with?" "Uh, I don't actually." "Well, maybe I can help you. Or are you gonna eat that all by yourself?" He says shrugging his shoulders. "I mean I was going to.." I respond sarcastically. We laugh, "My shift ends in 15 minutes, wait for me?" "I'll be outside." I smile and walk away.

I got a little bored waiting for Jacob so I opened up my chips and started eating them already. "Don't tell me you started without me." He suddenly says walking out. "Whoops." I say with chips in my mouth. "Let's go!" He says laughing.

We decided to go to the beach. We sat down in the sand and open up the snacks. "So tell me, were you born here?" He asks me. "Yeah I was. Where are you from?" "I'm from New York actually." "Really? What would a city boy do in Outer Banks?" He laughs. "Well, my parents wanted a change. They wanted to live somewhere quieter." "Then what the hell are you doing here?" I raise my eyebrows while we laugh again.

We hear a group of guys coming to the beach. As soon as they come closer to us I can see that it's Rafe Cameron and his stupid kook friends. "Let's go." I tell Jacob while I get up to leave. "What? What's going on?" "Nothing, just go."
"Chloe Maybank!" I sigh when I hear him call my name. I turn around annoyed, "What do you want?" "Is that the guy from yesterday?" Jacob asks me while Rafe and his friend walk towards us. "Hm..." Rafe says as he notices i'm with Jacob. "What are you doing here with him?" He asks almost sounding jealous? "Nothing, we were just leaving." "Oh, no no. Don't let us ruin your little date." "What is your problem man?" Jacob says. Rafe scoffs, "My only problem is the fact that you're still here." Jacob wanted to respond but I stepped in, "Just walk away. Come on." I tell him.
I make eye contact with Rafe for the last time as we walk away and he almost seems jealous about the fact I was here on the beach with Jacob. But like why would he be?