Part 14

Jungkook stood outside the emergency room, his mind a whirlwind of emotions. He couldn't remember the moment he had carried Jimin or how fast he had driven to the nearest hospital. All he could see in his mind was an image of Jimin, drowning in his own blood.

Time seemed to stretch endlessly as he waited for news. There was only one thought echoing in his mind - a desperate plea for Jimin and their baby's safety. For the first time in his life, Jungkook found himself praying fervently, begging whatever higher power might be listening not to take their baby away.

After what felt like an eternity, the doctor finally emerged, ending Jungkook's agonizing wait.

"Is he okay? And the baby, is he okay?" Jungkook asked, pleading the doctor not to say anything that would crush him.

"We were able to save the baby, don't worry. But how could you let him keep the baby in the first place? His body can't support it; he's already weak. The cancer has spread. He would be lucky to live and see the next few months," the doctor said. Jungkook's mind stopped. What cancer? What months?

Everything seemed to be in slow motion.

"He needs to stay in the hospital from now on. We should keep a close eye on him; his condition is critical. The cancer is spreading faster than in a normal person, perhaps because of the baby. I'm actually surprised he's still here until now," the doctor said. Jungkook wanted to tell him to stop; he couldn't take it anymore.

"Can... can I see him?" Jungkook asked, his voice breaking.

"After he wakes up, you can," the doctor replied.

Jungkook collapsed, shocked. His eyes were wide open, and tears streamed down his face like a waterfall. A sudden hand wrapped around his shoulder. He turned to see Jin, who he had call for Jimin earlier.

"Hush, now you know. He hid it because he didn't want to hurt you, so don't cry. Seeing you like this will make him sad," Jin said, tapping the younger man's back, trying to comfort him.

"Why? Why him, Hyung? he doesn't deserve anything like this. The doctor said he will die. Is he going to die? Please say no," Jungkook pleaded, his voice breaking.

"I want to say no, but his condition is so bad, especially after he chose to keep the baby," Jin said, his voice heavy with sorrow.

"Is this... is this why he keeps saying that he can't stay with us? He... he... He won't be able to see our baby. I can't, it's all my fault. He's paying for my sins. It should've been me, not him. Hyung, can't you save him?" Jungkook kept sobbing, holding onto Jin's hand, begging him to save his beloved best friend, that he wanted to love and worship.

"I feel helpless too, even though I am a doctor, I couldn't do anything. I am sorry," Jin said, his voice filled with anguish and regret.

*

*

*

Jungkook was sitting, holding Jimin's hand in the wide hospital room, his eyes red and puffy from all the crying earlier.

The whole situation filled him with sorrow, more than he could ever bear.

Just moments ago, he was happily waiting for Jimin, looking forward to their first date, even though he knew they were just hanging out as friends. He was glad that he could at least spend the day with the younger man. To shower him in his love and affection.

He raised his hand, caressing Jimin's forehead, his heart heavy with the fear of losing him before they could ever be together. He dreaded the idea of never getting the chance to shower him in the love he felt, never being able to ask him to be his boyfriend or ask for his hand in marriage. It felt like losing a chance he never had.