10

Parthiban

I enter the room and lock it from inside, a precaution to ensure that my niece won't sneak in again. She is not what I thought her to be! Not anymore at least...

I've treated her as a little girl so far and having to heed her talk so maturely and explicitly about such things was like someone poured ice cold water on my head. I was beyond astonished and I still am as I rest back on the bed.

I need to be very cautious around her. She is invincible and has a great determination to gain what she desires and it's bad that she has her eyes on me now. I could only resist up to a point as I've already mentioned. Upon cracking it so, she will have to deal with my arrogant side and I bet that she wouldn't be pleased a bit to witness it...

Firstly, I should divert her mind and to achieve the same, I've decided to admit her to a college without further delay. Her favorite subject is physics and she has told me often that she wants to pursue Bsc. Physics.

I hope she will not disturb or try to distract me once she starts attending college. I truly wish she could put all her concentration on her studies and quit persuading me to be her husband.

I can only be her maternal uncle. She will understand it eventually as she grows up from her teenage. Although she's eighteen, it takes around quite a few years to have a clear mind...

She will leave me when that day comes. This forced marriage will dawn on her someday and she will willingly separate from me.

Until then, I don't have any alternatives other than to bear her antics...

Well, though it's annoying, it's quite refreshing as well.

On the subsequent morning, I rose earlier and made breakfast for me and my niece. She is yet to wake up hence I head to her room to bring her out of her dreamland. Intruding into her room, I was met with a disoriented Mozhi who was dozing on her stomach with her legs and hands sprawled in uneven directions.

The mattress and blanket seem as though they underwent havoc.

Shaking my head, I approach her and touch the back of her head. "Mozhi," she releases a long whine before slowly peeling her eyelids open.

"Freshen up and wear appropriate clothes. We are going out," she looks at me unblinkingly and suddenly sits up on the bed with a happy grin on her face.

"Where are we going, mama? Theatre? Park? Beach?" I send her a blank gaze before replying flatly. "To college," her face falls and she blinks at me in confusion.

"You are going to join me in a college?" I nod my head at her question. "Get ready quickly," I say in a command and exit the room.

Afterward, we both settle in the dining area and start to have breakfast. Mozhi is in a pink plain churidar with her hair tied in a braid that cascades to the left side of her neck and reaches up to her waist.

She is in her usual bubbly self, having breakfast eagerly. I smile inwardly at her recovery. This personality of hers vanished for a month after my sister's death and seeing Mozhi returning to her normal nature is rendering me feel relaxed and content.

A while later, we hop inside the car and I drive to the university while Mozhi sits in the passenger seat, enjoying the views of the bustling streets of Chennai.

"Bsc Physics, right?" I ask as we reach the University. "Yes mama," she replies dejected as she takes in the humongous looks of the building.

"You can attend the classes from tomorrow itself. The classes has been commenced since a week back. And you would have classes the six day of the week, Sunday being the only exception," I speak out the information I know of the college which has Mozhi bulge her eyes in shock.

"Only Sunday?" I nod my head.

"That's so cruel mama! We don't want this college. Let's go to another one please..." She begs, uniting her palms together. "Not possible Mozhi. Numerous good colleges have closed the admission process and this is the last fine one where I've got a seat for you and that is only because of my influence. We can't miss this," at my comment, Mozhi leaves out a defeated breath.

Forthwith, we spent an hour or so in the admission procedures and retreated to our home eventually.

On the way back, Mozhi maintains a dull expression, probably sad due to the timing and tight schedule of the classes.

But this is for her own good.

And mine too.

Upon attaining the home, I drop Mozhi out. "I'm going to the office ma. You can prepare something for lunch, right? I will be back by then," she nods her head and waves her hands as I take off the car.

_________________________