Session 2: Cherries by Ara James

Session 2

Cherries by Ara James @greatblueheron

Lia knows how to handle herself when things go wrong on the mountain. But can she manage when things go wrong on the ground?

Free passes to the Sundance Film Festival don't land in just anyone's lap, and Lia's earned hers as a ski instructor to two precocious girls whose family owns a house in Park City, and probably an island somewhere in the Caribbean, too. In a twist of fate, she gets a break from work and two passes worth more than she makes in two months. Lia thinks Sundance will be ten memorable days of movies, parties, and fun with her best friend, Callie.

It will be all of those things - with lies, love interests, and snow storms thrown in as the weird cherries on top.

***

Discussion Questions:

1) Most people will only give a book a few sentences to a few paragraphs to grab their attention. Did the first chapter get your attention? Why? If it didn't, how could it improve?

2) Writers navigate tricky terrain when it comes to how much they reveal about their plot and characters. Too much, and the suspense dies out. Too little, and the plot crawls. Does this novel strike a balance, and if not, does it give too much or too little?

3) Books can take weeks to decades to write, over which time a lot may change in a writer's life, which in turn may change the writing itself. Does Cherries appear consistent in voice and atmosphere over the first five+ chapters?

4) Immersion in the narrative is crucial for an enjoyable read. Does Cherries achieve this? Were there places where you had to focus on the writing instead of the story?

5) Please provide any editorial feedback you might have, i.e. How can I make it better?

***

There have been updates to The Rule Book this week:

- clarification on what 'extra' chapters (prologues, author's notes and macaroni art) count toward the 'five chapter minimum read'

- the introduction of a standard question ALL featured writers will be asking about editing recommendations, and

- changes to the guidelines re: comments made on the featured book

If you haven't already, please read The Rule Book and make sure you understand the participation requirements for members.

As we're just getting off the ground and one of your Almighties has the memory of a goldfish, we'll recap the basics:

1) Read AT LEAST the first five chapters of the featured book

2) Comment on AT LEAST five chapters of the featured book

3) Once that's done, come back here and write a comment that contains:

- a short review or recount of your reading experience with the featured book (at least 75 words)

- answer AT LEAST three of the author's questions (see above). Your response should be numbered and submitted in the form of a comment on this chapter of The Review Book.

4) Continue to participate in discussion with other members as it arises

Please ensure you complete this before the next session commences (new sessions start every Monday), but the sooner the better!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN--that's an ALL CAPS order from the Almighty!

- Ara & Lucy