Chapter 1

Metal ran around on Green Hill Zone, the former badnik going as fast as Sonic, spin dashing through any of Eggman’s robots on his path. The blue hedgehog continued running until he reached a ring portal and jumped straight into it, exiting seconds later onto Earth, outside the very border of Station Square. Metal kept going, looking like a blue blur to the humans who called out to him like they thought he was Sonic.

Normally Metal would cringe at their love for the hero, but he wasn’t a robot anymore, let alone working for Eggman, not after the torture he went through just from his insane creator seeing him waking up as a Mobian hedgehog after mistaking him for Sonic. 'Eggman’s lucky that I didn’t end his miserable life the moment I escaped.' Metal thought, his hatred that he once had towards Sonic now pointed to Eggman and those who are still stupid enough to remain loyal to him. Shaking the thought away, Metal picked up his pace, now speeding much faster through Station Square, continuing his search for a certain someone.

Metal soon found himself at a beach-like area with a single house next to the sea water, waves moving softly while seagulls flew overhead, each one calling to the other as if they were having a conversation with the other.

With a flick of his battle-scarred ear, Metal walked to the front of the house, spotting Sonic lying on his back on top of a blue beach towel, a smile plastered on the hero’s face while he had his hands behind his head like he was using them as a pillow.

Metal hesitated to approach Sonic, having a sudden fear of ending up in another battle with Sonic, but lightly growled to himself in irritation at the sudden emotion before approaching Sonic, the said hedgehog’s ear flicking in acknowledgement of Metal’s presence. 

“You must not be very bright to try to sneak up on me pal.” Sonic spoke up, having Metal halt in his tracks. 

“I don’t want any trouble if that’s what you think I’m here for.” Metal replied. 

Sonic opened one eye, glancing at the red-eyed blue hedgehog. “Then what do you want?” He asked him curiously.

“My name is Metal, Metal the Hedgehog.” Metal replied.

“Sonic.” Sonic said before standing up, glancing at Metal from head to toe with an intrigued look on his face. “You sure do look rather familiar though.” He commented. 

'Of course he’s going to suspect my identity.' Metal thought, but he knew that he was better off telling Sonic now instead of later or let him find out from Eggman and risk the evil scientist lying about Metal’s intentions to join sides with Sonic. He’d have to work hard to earn the hero’s trust, that much was obvious, Metal only hoped that telling him that he was Metal Sonic was a good first step. 

“That’s because I was Metal Sonic, but I now have an ability to turn Mobian and robotic at will after much practice.” Metal said to Sonic. 

Sonic blinked like he didn’t expect his suspicions to be correct, let alone Metal immediately coming clean to who he was, and the way he spoke about his robotic self was like he preferred Metal Sonic as a different person, a person who Metal wanted to forget. 

“Okay…” Sonic hesitated, almost expecting Metal to remain aggressive towards him. “So, this means you don’t want to kill me anymore Metal?” He asked him.

“That whole thing with me attacking you was all Eggman controlling me, more strictly right after I rebelled on him as Neo Metal Sonic.” Metal explained. “But no, I no longer seek to kill you, because I would have already attacked you, and I prefer being called Metal now.” He said, crossing his arms in a calm matter, somewhat in a way that Shadow would.