Chapter 3

"Thank you," you muttered softly as Nami finishes tending to your cut

"Thank you," you muttered softly as Nami finishes tending to your cut. "You know, we may have just met, but you seem more reliable than the other two. I mean, Luffy isn't too bad, but I don't know if his intentions are true or not and Zoro... well he is Zoro."

"I appreciate the compliment but I am a thief," she replied, returning your small vial of ointment back to your hands.

"And I am a pickpocket," You grinned at her. "We are not too different."

Nami gave a dry chuckle at your words and shook her head.

"Are you two done with your chat? I am trying to get some rest," Zoro groaned.

"Oh, I am sorry if you don't like people being nice to each other," you said sourly, glaring at the green-haired swordsman in annoyance.

Nami silently headed out to evade the tension, leaving you and Zoro to deal with your differences. She had a safe to open, not mediate between you and him.

"Hmm. If you don't like me then you could say so. There is no need to waste time by throwing around words," Zoro said, sitting up and looking straight at your eyes.

"If my memory serves me right then I did tell you that I don't like you," you crossed your arms, a distant memory resurfacing in your mind. The memory was as clear as day.

Lightning lit up the dark sky as you sat outside your temporary residence. You wrapped your kimono around you tightly for comfort, not because you were cold.

"Where are you going?" your younger brother asked, emerging from the house. "We don't leave until midnight."

"I just need to clear my mind," you lied.

"Or you are going to meet with Zoro," your brother said knowingly.

"Listen I-," you paused. "He needs to know we are leaving."

"It's a gut feeling, but I don't think it will go well," he said, placing your katana on your lap. "Cleaned your katana."

For someone who usually acted immature, he was being surprisingly mature and oddly kinder.