Chapter 48: Pride, Power, and Politics -I

Max's Pov

My right hand clung tightly to the metallic steel outline bar of the coach's window, a little to the left of the train's third gate in A-class. The train, resplendent in bright red with a yellow drape along the bottom, exuded the grandeur of the Northflok train. Ounces of majestic steam escaped from it, a relic of the past now only found in the countryside. 

The station was devoid of porters but filled with enthusiastic faces of all kinds. That hardly mattered to me. My small velvet suitcase rested close to my left foot, just an arm's length away. The golden footboard of the train beckoned for me to jump inside. 

 The bells rang brazenly and loudly, each chime emphasizing the train's imminent departure within the next thirty seconds. It would be more logical to participate in the hustle and bustle, to comment on the rat-like scurrying of passengers once inside. 

But my feet remained rooted, expectant. Just as I was about to take a deep breath and ponder my hesitation, I saw her face.

 She effortlessly swung her luggage onto the train and climbed aboard without a second thought. Turning back, she brushed aside her raven black hair covering her face and greeted me with the same bright smile she had worn when we first met. Her hair had grown longer, cascading over her shoulders, and her eyes now radiated an inexplicable joy. Extending her hand towards me, her lips curled into a pleased grin.

 "What's got you frozen? Hurry up!" 

 "Claude," I blinked, my eyes narrowing at her like she was Hailey's comet, which had arrived way earlier than destined.

 She arched an eyebrow, her hand still extended in the air, as if ensuring I understood. The loud siren blared, a warning for departure within ten seconds, and I scanned the station. Except for the distant platform, where heads resembled ants, there was no sign of the struggle that had just unfolded to board the train. 

 I firmly grasped my suitcase with my right hand, letting go of the window bars, feeling relieved to lose my imaginary audience. The reason behind my unease remained uncertain, but the sunny rays on her hand erased all doubts. 

 "For the right cue, of course," I replied, placing my hands on hers and heaving my suitcase from the platform onto the footboard with a forceful jerk.

 Her eyes sparkled, as did mine. Just then, a hazel-brown dust cloud dispersed into the air and intruded into my eyes. As I pulled my hands towards my face, I cursed myself long before I could react. Naturally, I lost my balance, as my body fell back on the platform without a moment's grace. The loud screech filled the air, and I instinctively covered my ears with my hands, my eyes transfixed on the departing train as I lay there stolidly. 

I did not attempt to run in pursuit of catching up.

 Not because I couldn't, but because the one who had extended her hand to help me aboard now seemed content with her possession, her eyes peacefully untroubled by my fall. 

As the last sound of the train faded into silence, I sat there upright on the station, like a disposable statue as ants-like people in the far distance also dwindled to nothingness, obscured by hazy grey smoke. The steam of the train was long swept away by air, but in this silence, it was all my eyes seemed to find best.

.....................

Now

Another bizarre dream. 

Either it was my own self-obsession with mystery that was leading to these peculiar dreams as a substitute or my intuitive spirit had finally invaded my dreams as well, to provide me with some fruitful premonition.