Chapter 3: Ken The Coward

This chapter has late game spoilers for Unknownfate25's story "The Mob Character Shouldn't Have A Yandere Harem?!" 

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ken Kage's POV)

Stupid! Loser! Coward! 

Those were the only world I could think to describe myself as I paced back and forth across my apartment. 

It's been about half an hour since the dragon attack, and since I had just stood around looking like an idiot the entire time, I've been given a clean bill of health by the emergency crews and was allowed to leave early.

It all just happened so fast! 

One second I'm was talking with my friends, and then the next thing  I know a rift suddenly shows up and a lesser dragon starts blowing up cars! 

Like seriously what are the odds!

I wish I could explain what happened back there, but the fact of the matter was that when it mattered I froze. 

A part of me understood that it was a perfectly normal response to have, but then I remembered how neither Y/N and Eric froze like I did. Hell they even ran towards the dragon to save people!

They actually did the thing I always told myself I would do...

All my life I wanted to be an adventurer. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to help people and fight monsters just like my mom does. 

It's actually a huge secret, but my mom is actually one of Japan's five S-rank adventurers. She's famous all across Japan and is even pretty well known in North America!

But now I can't help but wonder what she'd say if she saw what happened today...

"It's not your fault. I can't tell you how many times I've frozen up over the years. What matters now is what you do from here."

Yeah, mom would probably say something like that. It was what my Aunt Aiko had said when she came over to talk to me. 

Principal Kato was actually a really close friend of my family and my godmother, and ever since I was a kid I was planning to go to her school. Since she and my mom were both so busy with their work though I never actually got the chance to meet her in person before.

Way to make a good first impression am I right?

Though to be honest, I brought this on myself. See my parents liked their privacy, so we lived out in small little town in the countryside of Japan. Growing up there, there was so little to do that when I came to Tokyo I got so caught up in all the new things to see and do that I ended up goofing around for the past two months. You know going to the movies, eat nothing but junk food, typically city kid stuff.

Maybe if I had spent the last two months doing some training then I wouldn't have frozen up like a coward today.

"UGRH, enough of this!" I groaned as I plopped down onto the bed. Aunt Aiko was right; what matters now is what I do from here on out! So swallowing my pride, I pulled out my phone and opened the messaging app.

(Messaging with Y/N L/N)

KEN:
[Hey Y/N you there?]•

Y/N:
•[What's up?]

KEN:
[I just wanted to say I'm sorry man]•
[I was useless out there]•
[I just froze like a coward]•
[And left everything you and Eric hanging]•
[I should have done something]•
[anything]•
[but I didn't]•

Y/N: sent an sticker

•[Dude it's fine]•[Anyone would have scared if they saw a dragon]

•[Dude it's fine]
•[Anyone would have scared if they saw a dragon]

"Yeah, but you weren't." I thought bitterly before Y/N's next message came through.

Y/N:
•[I don't think you're a coward Ken]
•[And I froze too just fyi. Only one who didn't freeze was Eric]

KEN:
[Seriously?]•
[But I saw both of you run towards the dragon!]•

Y/N:
•[I saw a girl who was about to get turned into a pancake]
•[I wasn't sure what to do till I saw her. I wanted to run, but I didn't want her to die either. And somehow my legs started moving again]
•[You'll get your moment too Ken]
•[I don't think you're a coward]

Hearing that honestly made me feel better, and the knot in my stomach loosened a little bit.

KEN:
[Thanks man]•
[Listen about that Dojo you go to...]•

Y/N:
• [User Y/N has sent an address.]

Y/N:
• [I'm helping Eric study for the entrance exam to Legacy High, want to join us?]

KEN:
[Wait Eric's going to L.H.???!!]•
[I thought we was going to an ordinary school]•
[He*]•

Y/N:
•[Yeah Principal Kato saw what he did and invited him]

"Seriously?! I thought stuff like that only happened in animes or something."

KEN:
[I'm good. I've been study for the written exam for ages]•
[So I think it's time to focus on physical training. Thanks though!]•

After sending Y/N a thumbs up I closed the app. Talking with him made me feel a lot better, and I was serious about training too. No more goofing off for me!

Just as I was about to turn off my phone for the night when I got a notification on Zwitter. It was about the dragon attack, and the news story even mentioned how Eric and Y/N bravely saved people unable to run away.

"[...] We here at Toyoko Line look forward to what these future adventurers will accomplish in the future!" I read as the knot in my stomach returned in full force.

Y/N was right; I would get my moment too. I would pass the entrance exam with full colors, get an A or S-rank Arcana, and then go on to became an S-rank Adventurer just like mom.

I came from a family of heroes, and nothing would stop me from being a hero too!