Chapter 5

Hot shot was now at Cook children's hospital for his planned rotationplasty. He was ready for it. Once inside the doctors and nurses checked his vitals and everything. They made sure he was ready to go into surgery.

Once that was all checked out he was in another room waiting. He was now in a hospital gown too. He was ready for his surgery. He was kind of nervous and scared. But he was ready to do this so he can beat his cancer.

Hot shot was kind of nervous but he was ready for it. Then a couple of nurses came in to take him to the operating room. Hot shot saw the doctors and nurses as he went by in the bed.

Then in the OR Hot shot got to choose the scent for his medicine air. Hot shot chose cotton candy. It smelled very yummy too! Hot shot soon fast sleep. The doctors went right to work at removing the diseased knee and leaving the artery. It took about eight to ten hours for the whole surgery because it was very complicated. Soon it was all finished.

Now Hot shot's backwards foot was put in yellow cast. Hot shot was fast asleep still. Soon he woke up and saw both of his parents looking at him. "I am ready for the rotationplasty," Hot shot said.

"It is already over Hot shot," Quickshadow told him.

Hot shot took a look and saw his backwards foot. "The cast is yellow," Hot shot said.

"I thought you might like that so I asked the doctors if they could do that for you," Heatwave said.

"Wow thanks daddy," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was getting used to having his left foot on backwards. He was going to have to wait a while for the cast to come off. Hot shot was feeling much better too.

Hot shot was soon able to go home too once the cast was off. He was happy to be home too. He still had to come to the hospital back and forth for treatments, tests and check ups.

Hot shot began learning how to use his new backwards foot in March. His leg was finally healed up by then. He was learning how to bend it properly and how to use it correctly. He was even learning how to walk on crutches other than just getting around with a wheelchair. It was going to take some time before he was going to be fitted for a prosthetic. The doctors said it could take about three months more after that to get it.

Soon July came. Hot shot was very excited about it. He was at the hospital. Today he was going to have the model made of his rotationplasty to make the prosthetic. "I am so eager to start," Hot shot said.

"I know you are," Quickshadow said.

It was just his mummy who brought him today. Heatwave was needed at work. But Hot shot was eager to start this so he could get his prosthetic. He was soon taken back to get it done.

He had his leg wrapped up in plastic. Then sock was put on and marks were made for measurements and boney areas. Then another wrap was applied it was made of plaster. Then once it was hard it was taken off.

"Now we will start on making a model out of this so we can make your prosthetic," the prosthetist said.

"Hello I am prosthetic tech, I will make your prosthetic, how would you like it to look?" the tech asked.

"I want it my leg to have stars," Hot shot said.

"Okay then," the tech said.

Then after a few more weeks of treatments, tests and check ups. Hot shot got to try on his prosthetic. It fit perfectly, no slipping or feeling tight. He was shown how to apply the straps the to keep it on snuggly. It moved great too. Hot shot was learning to walk with it. He learned to do it quickly too.

Hot shot got to see his friends prosthetic legs too. He liked the fact they all had the same kind of surgery a rotationplasty. They all each had one backwards foot. It was kind of neat to say the least. Each of their legs showed what their styles were like just like their choice to cover their baldness.

They each had their own style and their own way of how they liked to showed it. Hot shot was soon walking around great with his leg. Hot shot was hoping to get a running blade. But the problem was they were not cheap.

But he was in luck his uncle Murray was able to get a running blade not just for Hot shot but his four friends too. His uncle was Billionaire with a lot of money saved up. He acts, he does endorsements, and he does things online too. He is a self made billionaire. He was able to afford all five running blades easily.

The kids thanked him by hugging him. He was grateful for that. He was happy to help them.

Hot shot was soon starting to learn to use his running blade. As were his friends. They were all learning how to use them very quickly. Now they were running all over place too.

Soon Wedge got his wish he was able to meet his favorite celebrity. It was very happy for him. He got many presents from him and got to spend time with him.

Whirl's wish came true too. She was able to see all the sights and sounds of Italy. She was very happy to see everything and do a lot of different things. It was super exciting too.

Hoist's wish came true as well. He got a room theme with dinosaurs. There were stuffed dinosaurs, a dinosaur bed, a dinosaur lamp, a desk decorated with fossil pictures, and Dino foot prints on the walls. Everything was dinosaur and he was very happy too.

Medix was able to get his wish too. He designed a plush to represent sarcoma cancer. It was of a yellow lab. Because yellow is the color for sarcoma awareness. Also because dogs just like people can get sarcoma cancers too. It was very cute and it was in the process of soon being released to the public.

Hot shot was looking forward to his wish coming true too. He was very excited too. He had a feeling it was going to happen soon.

In October there was good news. "Hot shot is in remission he beat cancer," Dr. Coaler said.

"Hooray," Hot shot said.

"You will still need treatment for a few more weeks but after that you just need tests," Dr. Coaler said.

"Oh boy!" Hot shot said.

Finally in November Hot shot and his friends all got to ring the end of treatment bell. Hot shot was looking forward to getting his wish.

Then in February Hot shot got his wish. He met his puppy he named her Roxy just like his rhino. He was very happy to have her. Both him and Roxy became very, very close.

Hot shot grew and grew as the years went by. As did his friends Hoist, Medix, Whirl and Wedge. They were very happy and healthy.

Hot shot was now playing sports with his running blade. Hot shot able to get on a college sports team with his leg. Hot shot was hoping to make a professional sports team.

Then a bit later the owner of the Texas Rangers said there was a space for him on the team. Hot shot accepted and signed the contract. Hot shot was able to move into an apartment in Arlington near globe life park.

Hot shot was able to inspire many kids and people with being able to play on a prosthetic leg. Hot shot even met a little girl with a prosthetic leg of a rotationplasty. "I want to be a basketball player but kids at school say I can't because I have a prosthetic," the little girl said.

"Listen, I have a prosthetic leg too, I kept pushing forward despite needing rotationplasty to illness, and I kept trying and here I am a Texas Ranger," Hot shot said. "So if you want to be a basketball player be a basketball player," he said. "I know any woman's basketball team will be lucky to have you on their team," he told her. "All you have to do is keep trying and never give up," he assured her. "Because people with prosthetics and other disabilities can also do anything they set their minds too, just like people who don't have disabilities," he told him.

"Thank you," she said.

"No problem," Hot shot said.

Now Hot shot had a good life. He was happy and healthy. But he never forgot facing Ewing Sarcoma.