Chapter 6: Lunch

See if you can spot the part I didn't proofread

George received a report from the spies before Dream returned. One had stayed at the winter palace to watch the King's activity while two tailed Dream to the summer palace. He disappeared inside for a long amount of time, and departed after observing the prince write at his window.

Techno was suspicious, but Techno was always suspicious.

Dream arrived in the late morning; he brandished a green kerchief. "Look what I found."

Techno blocked George from taking it. "Wait, we must check it for magical traps."

Dream's smile fell and George could tell he was scowling behind the mask. He dropped it on the floor. "I brought it here without problem."

"I know," Techno said evenly. "Report."

"I delivered the letter. He was at the summer palace by the sea. His father was not there. He wrote something at the window within an hour of me placing the letter in his room."

"And how did you find his room?"

Mild annoyance flashed through George at Techno's headbutting, but he didn't interrupt.

Dream seemed to glance at George. "The prince has much fewer guards than his father. It's not as hard as you think to sneak around a castle as long as you can climb and be silent. I bet I could find King George's private chambers easily."

George spit out from the goblet he was drinking. He flushed when they both stared at him. That was unbecoming. He cleared his throat and set the goblet down. "No need to prove that."

Dream's eyes glinted above a devilish grin. "Are you sure?"

"Quite."

"Thank you." Techno cut in, sounding most ungrateful. He held out a small sack of coins.

"Oh no, I refuse. I still have plenty from before... for food. Thank you."

"Invest in something." Techno remained firm.

Dream shook his head. "I'm okay, buy your kids something nice."

"My kids are well cared for," Techno growled. "Give it to charity if you please."

Dream saw that he couldn't refuse and took it with a frown. "Thank you."

The manners in these two, George thought sarcastically. "Join me for lunch, Dream."

They turned to him in surprise and George ignored Techno's look of warning, preferring to take in the shock on those of Dream's features he could see.

"Really?"

George smiled. "Yes, really. I take it you have enough time to spare?"

Dream's smile turned coy. "I'll make an exception this time, for you."

George rolled his eyes. "Techno, take care of the handkerchief, please."

George typically dined alone in a sunroom next to the courtyard. It was a pleasant room with plenty of natural light and large-leafed plants.

Dream took the seat next to him, despite the long, empty table. George huffed at his confidence, but didn't make him move.

Four guards were stationed silently; two more entered, likely at the behest of Techno, who was sure to give George a scolding on being foolish later. George supposed he was grateful that at least Techno didn't question him in front of others.