Chapter 24: Happy Ending

thats a placeholder title cuz I finished this last night and was too excited to wait

Dream saw the blood drain from his father's face and his own brow furrowed. He'd never seen this man before.

King Viridian had.

His voice came out as a squeak. "Wh- Geppy?"

"Hi, Bad." The stranger smiled and picked up his pace until he and the king crashed into a bear hug.

George, Dream, and Techno stood dumbfounded as they were forgotten by the green-eyed king.

His eyes brimmed with tears, and his words came slow and gasping. "Skeppy, what are you doing here? Is it really you? What is happening?"

Skeppy was also crying happy tears that leaked onto his green clothes. He was dressed to match Bad's entourage and emeralds dangled from his ears.

"Yes, Bad. It's me. You're not going crazy." He chuckled and wiped Bad's tears away before wrapping him in another hug. He sniffed with blue eyes tinged red.

"I'm actually here."

Bad almost seemed to shut off in disbelief. He kept touching Skeppy like he would fade away any second. "But you- you- I thought I'd never see you again."

"Me neither." Skeppy held Bad's hand up to his cheek and gazed at him tenderly. "But I heard you were coming to Cathens in person, and..."

His smile dropped into sorrow. "Oh, Bad. I'm so sorry. I know how much she meant to you."

Bad gasped, looking suddenly much younger. He shook his head. "It happened so fast... and then she was... gone, and I was so alone."

"We'll always remember her," Skeppy promised, gently touching his forehead to Bad's. "Puffy was the gentlest person in the world. You were a good match."

Bad shook his head with a sob. "I could never match her. She always forgave me, I didn't deserve it."

"Yes, you did, Bad. You do." Skeppy's voice softened. "You were so gentle, and kind. You did what you thought was right."

Bad sniffed. "No, no. Skeppy. Puffy and I, we never felt.... Oh, Skeppy. I should've chosen you. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Bad. It hurt for a long time, but I've accepted it. I forgive you. It would've been hard, maybe impossible for us. You still had a good marriage with Puffy, and a son."

Bad sniffed again; the crown was slipping off his head. "Friends are good, but I wanted a marriage with love. I gave her everything I could... but I missed you, Skeppy. You disappeared."

"I'm sorry. I just couldn't stay in Duresh. I moved here, and set up my own little life."

"Oh. Do- do you-"

"No." Skeppy's expression was bittersweet. "No one."

"Oh," Bad said again.

George gave the prince a look that silently begged for an explanation.

Dream reeled. He had absolutely no idea what was happening. He'd never seen his father cry, let alone utter his mother's name.

Techno nudged them and gestured at a6d, whose grin was far too smug as he watched the other two reunite.

"Bad." Skeppy took the other king's hand and glanced at the rest of them. "I think you should let your son do this, don't let your pride get in the way."

Bad gave him a look. "Skeppy," he said sternly.

"Baaaad." He tugged on the royal's arm with a playful smile.