Chapter 11: Masks

Dream gritted his teeth as he slid off Spirit. The force of hitting the ground seemed to shake up his legs like an earthquake.

He gave her lead to a stable boy and patted her flank as she left. Probably to get a better night's sleep than me.

He checked into the inn under a fake name as always. No one here could place him thanks to the new mask. It was black with blue flowers embroidered on the sides just next to the eyes. He bought it in Cathens; it reminded him of George.

It was perfect: just plain enough to go unnoticed but with enough personality to not look like a burglar.

Dream normally would've just gone to his room, but he sat at the bar to ease the pain a bit. The ale was bitter, but otherwise fine.

I wonder what kind of drinks George likes.

"How do," someone greeted him.

Dream glanced sidelong at the young man, noting streaks of white in his red hair. He grunted in reply, not inclined to conversation.

"Traveller, eh? Where you from?"

Dream named the village he'd told George. His voice was slightly hoarse with disuse; it was strange to use it in disguise.

"Right. Nice place. So I hear, anyway-" the young stranger looked into his drink as he swirled it with a hand- "I've never been anywhere."

"Really? You seem adventurous to me," Dream teased, then internally chided himself, he was supposed to lay low.

The stranger chuckled a little. "So where are you headed? I think I've seen you pass through here every once in a while, I recall that green cloak."

Dream took a sip, relaxing as the stiff pain ebbed from his body. "Nah, all smart hunters have a cloak like this, blends into the forest."

"No, I'm sure. You caught my eye."

Dream leaned back as he leaned in. He took the hint and backed off.

"It's just, if you're doing another loop, I'd love to join you for it until you come back here. A little vacation, so to say."

"Why?"

"Why not? I don't want to work in the family shop under my tyrant brother. Might as well get out and see something of the world. I heard it's quite big."

It was Dream's turn to chuckle.

"Ever been to Duresh?"

"What? Of course not! What business do you have there?"

Dream downed his drink and left money on the counter. He shrugged and stood, scraping the stool. "You said you wanted adventure. I'm leaving at dawn."

Dream left him, looking forward to a few hours in a bed and off his horse. He honestly didn't expect the stranger to take up the challenge, but there he was the next morning, satchel slung over his arm.

"Do you have travel supplies? How long are we going for? What's your name again?"

"Alan." It was what Dream had told the innkeeper. "You have a horse, right?"

"No."

"Seriously?"

"You didn't say I need a horse!"

Dream groaned. "Fine. Get on."

"On yours? How do I...."

Dream impatiently hauled him on behind him, wondering how much delay this company would add.