Chapter 7: The Trick

Dream had no luck arming himself or finding whoever had attacked George, thanks to Technoblade's guards forcing him away like some ordinary citizen. Then the Captain finally came out blazing and let Dream help track the snipers down. The group had perched in trees near the castle wall and then split up. Dream, flanked by guards, followed one trail while Technoblade chased the other.

The soldiers were not subtle. They charged into the building Dream indicated and the assassins scattered everywhere. Dream saw two running over the rooftops and darted after the one closest to him. He was clumsy with the sword and could've stopped them both with a bow, but as it was Dream had to chase on foot. He'd cornered the man when an arrow flew at him from the side.

Only Dream's reflexes saved him from tearing a hole through his skin. He dodged just enough to miss it and glimpsed the other assassin crouched to fire, but he sprinted away after only firing that projectile.

Then Dream noticed that the one he'd cornered had slipped away too. He swore and finally caught him in a dead end, but the other had escaped.

Some guards were injured, but they had captured two in the building, though the assassins had fought hard. Dream captured the one who ran, and Technoblade's group captured three. The prisoners were taken back to the palace.

As dusk fell, Dream searched for the last one, but his scouting was futile. The next dawn didn't bring clues, so Dream returned to the castle to find George looking tired and Technoblade keeping him away from windows.

"I hope you've tightened your security," Dream said immediately.

"You dare tell me how to do my job?"

"Clearly you weren't doing it before, or this wouldn't have happened!"

"Enough," George cut in. Dream restrained himself from running to his side.

"Are you alright?" he asked the king.

"Yes, unhurt. Thank you for your help. Did you find anything?"

Dream shook his head in disappointment.

"Neither did Techno."

"We will." Techno's eyes were determined. "We won't rest until we do."

George nodded gravely. "It's imperative we find whoever is responsible immediately. We must know if they were working under orders from one of our enemies."

"But we received a letter," George said, "and I have my reply ready."

Dream tensed. He was eager to read it, but he wanted to investigate around the castle, and he'd be lying if he said he thought George was safe there without him. "Are you sure you want me to deliver it now?"

"Yes, I doubt you will be interrupted on your path, and it is important that the Duresh crown doesn't sense our weakness."

"I don't think..." Dream wanted to say he knew the prince wouldn't take advantage of them, but he changed mid-sentence. "I don't think it's wise for me to leave until we catch the culprit."

"That is not your decision." George displayed all the regalness at his disposal, and Dream had no more room to argue.

"Since the prince is writing without his father in the castle, that is sufficient proof of his integrity, is it not?"

"It is proof that he isn't using the king's words, but not that he isn't under the king's orders."

"Of course, it will be hard to disprove that."

"What are you trying to say?" Techno asked.

"Nothing." Dream spoke to George again. "Should I wait for the response this time? That would be faster than the normal mail system."