Chapter 16

The next morning Frank took Ken's rental car to pick Susie up from the hospital. When he arrived, she was sitting on the edge of the hospital bed holding her purse.

"Ready?"

She nodded, and Susie climbed in the wheelchair that the hospital insisted she leave in. Frank gladly pushed her to the car and helped her in.

The ride to the hotel was silent. When Frank parked, he turned to Susie, "I know I fucked up, but I want to fix this."

"Frank, you were done with me after Vegas. The only reason you have any interest in me now is because I'm the oven with your bun. You told me about Ava."

"I did?"

"You came back drunk one night, and you told me what she'd done."

"Fuck," he muttered.

"I talked to my mother, and she thinks it's grand that the father wants to be involved. So, I'm going to California with you."

"You don't sound thrilled."

"Mark my words. I am not some submissive little woman. I will not be controlled."

"Who the hell said anything about controlling you?"

"You! You said I'm coming to California, and you aren't letting me out of your sight."

"I overreacted yesterday. I would like it if you came to California. Would you please come with me? Is that better?" Frank said. His voice was steady, but it was loud and bitey.

"Yes, I will come with you. Can we please stop arguing in the car and go to my room?"

Frank got out of the car and went around to open the door for Susie. As she quickly climbed out, she gasped, "Oh!"

Frank grabbed her quickly as he could tell another dizzy spell had hit her.

"I'm fine. I stood up too fast... They warned me about that with my low blood pressure."

Frank was still holding onto her, a steadying hand on her waist and another under her arm, "You're okay."

Frank could tell she was scared, so he repeated himself, "You're okay. Come on, let's go in. You probably need some breakfast."

He offered her his arm. She took it and he slowly led her back to her hotel room. When they arrived in the room, he took her to a chair and made sure she sat down. Then he went to the phone, "What can I order for you, Doll?"

"I'm not hungry," she whispered.

He looked back at her and noticed she was covering her face.

"Hey, what's this?" he said walking back over to her.

"Nothing. I'm just emotional, and today's been a lot."

Frank knelt down in front of her. "Look, I know that you're overwhelmed. I want you with me in California until the baby comes and for a little while after, but we can figure out a better solution eventually."

Susie nodded.

"You have to eat something."

"I'll try toast."

"Okay," he said.

In the afternoon, despite Frank's protests, Susie went with Ken for the music rehearsal. Ken promised to take care of her and have her back in time for dinner.

After the rehearsal, she was returned to the hotel where Frank was waiting for her at the hotel restaurant. She walked in and found him quickly.

"How was rehearsal?" he asked pulling out her chair.

"Good. Ken made some great arrangements."

They continued on in conversation about various things before Frank finally broached the subject of returning to California.

"So tomorrow, I'm flying back, and I have a ticket for you to join me."

"Okay," Susie said quietly.

"No fight?"

"No fight," Susie replied.

"What's changed?"

"I'm mad at you, but I can see that this baby is important to you. Since I didn't tell you about him or her to begin with, I owe this to you. And, I owe you an apology. I'm sorry. I never thought you would care about the baby or me, and I was trying to protect us."

"How could you think that?" he asked angrily. Despite the anger, it was clear he was hurt.

"I realize I was wrong. I'm apologizing," Susie defended herself as she saw his temper flare.

"I was nothing but good to you in Vegas, yet you see me as a monster."

"Christ, I'm trying to apologize. I said I was wrong. You're blowing this out of proportion."

"No, I'm not. If you hadn't gotten sick, I would've never known about my kid."

"And I said I'm sorry. Can we please just drop this for now?"

"Fine," Frank replied. "This conversation is not over."