26. Why?

"The person you are trying to reach is unavailable. Please leave a message after the bee-" The voice says to me for the fourth time. I hang up the phone, finding no purpose in trying to reach out to him again.

Ollie suddenly ghosted me. And I don't even know why. I tried not to think about it after the game, I just thought something had come up so he couldn't attend the game. 

But after partying, and watching the girls drink away, I figured maybe he would tell me why, or respond. He never did. 

I tried texting him, but he never answered. 

"Come on KitKat! We have to get to training!" Sam yells out to me. Snapping out of my thoughts, I quickly jog onto the pitch where all the girls were warming up. "Are you ok? Did Olive garden do something?" 

I shook my head, the pent up frustration bubbling in me. "No, he didn't do anything! Why do you guys keep thinking he's evil or something!" I snap. Sam looks surprised, a little shocked, since I've always been the calm one out of the two of us. Guilt swirled in me as I watched Sam's face contort in apology. She shouldn't feel bad, I should. "Sorry, I'm sorry. I'm just worried about our next game." I told her. Our next game was against England, and I was told that I'd be goalie for the game. 

Sam slung her arm over my shoulder as we walked towards the others. "You'll do great." She affirms as she pats my back before jogging off to talk to Ras.

Macca, Lyds, Teagan and I begin doing some goalie drills. My entire focus is now shifted onto practice. Ollie is probably going through something and needs space, and I have to give it to him.

My body slams onto the ground, "amazing save KitKat!", the trainer yells. I offer a thumbs up as I dust off the grass that has stuck to my body. "I reckon you'll do great in the Semi's. As long as you keep your focus, you'll be fine." He says, lighting hope in me. 

"Thanks, but don't expect too much. Number one, it's the Lionesses, and number two, Mary Earps is keeping so... Not to mention my darling Alessia Russo will be there." I joke.

"Aw, what about your lover boy Olive garden." Macca jokes back, nudging my shoulder.

***

A slam on my door makes me flinch. I guess I was consumed in thought that I couldn't even hear the stampede that is my team

"KitKat! We can't beat Viney, can you win?" Charli whines as she enters my room with Kyra, Ellie, Viney, and Teagan. Viney holds a chess set in her hands.

I look at my phone one more time. No new notifications. God, I'm so clingy.

Smiling at the girls, I stand up and and yell out, "It's time to overthrow the queen." The girls cheer.

"Say what you will KitKat, but Char and I play so much chess that I'm basically a chessmaster at this point." Viney brags. I've met Viney's partner, Charlotte, through video call. Sweetest soul ever, and their dynamic is just so perfect. I wish I could have that. I did have that. I used to have that.

I shake my head at Viney's confidence. Little does Viney know, I have an actual chess rating. It was only around 1680, but I consider myself smarter than a casual chess player. 

"No, KitKat is gonna beat your ass! She's the prodigy!" Kyra teases, sticking her tongue out. 

I pull out my white knight past the pawns, waiting for Viney to begin. 

"She may be here to overthrow the queen, but I'm here to overthrow the prodigy." Viney says dramatically. 

"Girl, once you realise that it's your turn, you can try."