Backstory Part 5

Fatima: Babe can you grab the pump for me please
Zac: I'm coming baby.
It's been a few months since Fatima delivered her beautiful baby girl. Zoe Gabrielle Taylor was born 5 weeks ago.  Mom and dad are adjusting as best as they can.

Fatima: I have to hurry and pump so I can shower while she's sleeping.
Zac: ok baby I'm out I'll see you in a few.
Fatima: do you really have to go?
Zac: you know I do. My mom will be here around 12 she said to help finish the unpacking and I'll be home 4 latest.
Fatima: 4 weeks was not enough time babe I still need you.
Zac: Fatima, we talked about this. You knew I was going back this week and everyday you're giving me a hard time when it's time for me to leave.
Fatima: well excuse me for expressing my needs to you. Just go Zachary.
Zac: Yo.., don't do that. I literally go to practice then I'm right back here in this with you.

Fatima was silent. She grabbed her pump and baby monitor and walked downstairs. Zac brushed his face with his hands and followed behind her.

Zac: baby..baby can we not do this please don't be mad with me. I know you're going through a lot. I'm trying I really am, but baby I have to work.
Fatima: then go to work.

Zac grabbed his keys and left out shaking his head.

A few hours later and Zac's mom Aubrey and Fatima's mom Nicole was over helping out. Nicole is cleaning up the kitchen while Aubrey is feeding Zoe.

Nicole: Fatima are you communicating what it is that you need?
Fatima: mom really!
Aubrey: now Fatima that's a fair question. Every since high school you two struggled with communicating.
Fatima: Aubrey, why do I have to give him a play by play of what I need.
Nicole: so instead you want him to guess? Come on Fatima you're smarter than that. It's not fair to him nor you.
Fatima: Mom please, I just had a baby, I'm studying to finish this last semester, I'm moving us into this new house and I'm home with the baby ALL DAY!!

As Fatima was finishing her rant Zac walked in the door two hours later than what he usually does. All eyes was on him.

Zac: No please don't stop on my behalf.  Continue to throw around false narratives like your a single FUCKING PARENT!!
Aubrey: Zac!
Fatima: No let him talk, because clearly my feelings or my accounts don't matter.
Nicole: Fatima do not do this in front of Zoe.
Aubrey: Zac walk away your daughter is in my arms. Go down to the basement and chill out.
Fatima: wow so he comes home two hours late and is rewarded with a break meanwhile I've been with Zoe all day.
Nicole: FATIMA stop!
Zac: No this is what she does, instead of talking to me she waits until shit comes to a head and acts like a bitch.

Fatima slaps Zac and he grabs her arms in a attempt to restrain her. Aubrey takes Zoe upstairs to her nursery. Nicole attempts to separate the two of them. Aubrey returns downstairs with the baby monitor in hand.

Aubrey: both of you sit down NOW.
Nicole: y'all both done lost your minds behaving like this in front of my grand baby.
Aubrey: now I'm going to be honest with you both. If y'all don't learn to communicate y'all will not make it. These emotions you both are carrying are high. What's the real problem?
Nicole: other than y'all needing therapy.
Nicole: Fatima I'm talking to you, what's y'all problem?
Fatima: I don't have a problem.
Nicole: and that's the problem
Aubrey: Fatima baby, something is wrong honey. Be honest with yourself.

Fatima was crying within her hands. Still standing. Zac walks in front of her and grabs her hands.

Zac: look at me. Baby talk to me, what's wrong.
Fatima: Zac it's fine, nothings wrong.
Zac: look at me. Do you love me?
Fatima: Zac I don't want to do this while our parents are here.
Zac: damn it Fatima answer me
Fatima: yes Zac I love you
Zac: then tell me what's wrong.
Fatima: Zac I want to graduate and go to law school. How am I going to do that with a baby and you traveling at every turn. I knew this would happen that's why I didn't want to have a baby so soon. I told you this.
Zac: we were already pregnant babe.
Fatima: we had options Zac.

Zac could feel himself getting angry. He walked in the kitchen and grabbed a water from the refrigerator. Fatima stood in silence with her head down. Zac took a deep breath and made his way back over.

Zac: I'm not going to lie when I hear you say shit like that it makes me want to bash your head through a wall.
Fatima: and this is why I didn't want to do this in front of them. Zac I'm just saying how I feel. I feel like I'm giving up my dreams to be your wife and Zoe's mother. I know that may sound bad but I'm being honest.

Aubrey: Son remove the emotion and hear what she's saying to you. She's afraid of losing herself. What good would you be if you couldn't  do what you love.
Nicole: I really think you guys should do pre marital counseling. You guys are young and just starting off it could really help.
Zac: Fatima look at me. I promise you whatever your dreams are I will do everything in my power to help you achieve them. I promise baby. You hear me, I promise.

Zac held her in his arms as she cried her eyes out.
Both feeling relieved that she said the quiet stuff out loud, and for the most part optimistic of what lies ahead. She trust Zac's words but also knows his desires of her staying home.