What Is Spirituality?

According to Philip Sheldrake, the word originated in Christianity. 'The spiritual' was originally contrasted with 'fleshly' which meant worldly or contrary to God's spirit. Spirituality can be found it the jewish, christian, islamic, hindu and buddhist religion. Apart from those well known by all religions, spirituality exists in the belief that the universe provides to people. Another one is that mother nature herself holds every spiritual existence out there. There is the belief in objects, of course, but also mankind itself. I used to have a teacher whom i discussed with how i was never willing to believe in anything spiritual. Through that conversation I came to the conclusion that what i was in opposition with was the church, and not some kind of spirituality itself.
    The concept of it exists from ancient times, sometimes appearing in some religions more than others. Nevertheless, the ancient world had a crucial connection with the spiritual world through their beliefs, such as the Greek, Egyptian or Norwegian gods. For instance, the ancient greeks would offer material goods in front of gods' shrines, or pray. The same happened to the other religions as well.
     Spiritual life can also be described as a deeper connection with your own body, physical or higher body. It is said that a person has six bodies. The physical, followed by the energetic body, then the astral, the emotional, the soul and the spiritual one. each one needs to be healthy in order for a person to function normally. All of them contribute to the peace of mind and soul.
    In conclusion, its either the connection with ourselves or something higher, whether thats god or a higher force/energy/entity.
   It differs from religion in some ways, but both have some similarities. For example, some questions often asked by religious people are "what is wrong and right?" or "what is true and what is false?". The spiritual person will ask "How can i make my connection to everything a little deeper?" or "How should i be living my life?" which are, in my opinion, philosophical. But you can easily notice that both sides are described by belief, comfort, awe and reflection.  The religious person has a strong sense of ethics and feels the need to approach god. On the other hand, the spiritual one seeks a mindful way of living, while admiring both the human values and the values of nature.