Banning people - especially men

AIDA

"You work in law right?" I asked my best-friend, knowing the answer.

She chuckled. "Yes, Aida. I work in law," she answered, her thick accent not in full peak, like it usually was when she was at home.

"Nur darling you know I love you," I started pleading. "Please fucking ban people - especially men from Las Vegas. Please." I pleaded.

She chuckled. "Sitara, you know I'd be the first person in the whole state to ban them but I really can't."

I pouted. "Well you're still the best lawyer I know," I told her.

She laughed tiredly. "Sometimes I wish I would've stuck with the whole trophy wife thing," she sighed. "It would've been less tiring. Less stress. Less stupid Americans."

I laughed and she did too, her laugh more tired than usual. "I take it he hasn't come around yet?" I asked quietly, wiping a make-up removing pad over my face.

"Nope," she whispered then cleared her throat. "It's fine if he never does but I would rather live alone than live with the ghost of a man I once knew."

And loved, I thought to myself. I'd been at their wedding - guest of honor and all - and anybody with two working eyes could see that there wasn't any kind of love that'd beat the one Nur and her husband had.

The universe and its silly fate however, decided to shatter that love and break it into a million pieces.

Nur cleared her throat on the other end. "So what can you tell me about this fiance of yours hm?" She sounded awfully like she buried her head in her laptop.

I chuckled. "Why? You gonna ask Ary to do a background check on him?"

We were both quiet for a moment before we started laughing, the heavy feeling in my chesting easing a bit.

"Well," I started. "He's tall, dark curly hair, dark eyes. Chiseled jaw and cheekbones all that fucking jazz," I muttered.

"Uh-huh," she said from the other end. "Anything else?"

I huffed. "He doesn't react to my snark." When I heard Nur snort, I continued by rant in a slightly over-outraged tone. "I'm serious Nur, no matter what I did or said that man looked as unphased as ever."

"Ooohhh," she said and I realized she was laughing. I glared at my phone. "Don't laugh, this is serious matters."

"Of course yes," she cleared her throat. "Shit-talking the only man on earth who will not react to your undeniably very attractive snark is the most serious matter in the whole world." She kept laughing despite her minor attempts to keep quiet and I rolled my eyes.

"Night Nur," I whispered and smiled softly.

"Night Sitara," she whispered back and hung up.

I smiled to myself and slid my phone in the pocket of my pajamas, stretching my arms above my head.

Stepping into my bedroom I was greeted by floor to ceiling windows, the image of Las Vegas at night burning itself into my retinas once more as I stared at it, my dogs laying around my bed and the floor, simply lounging and enjoying their best life.

I opened my balcony door and stepped out, the cold marble of the floor making a chill settle into my bones. I shivered but smiled despite that, enjoying the light breeze.

Blares from the hornes of cars passing by our estate rang around, tickling my brain in just the right way. I wasn't a big car girl but I had my favorites in that world.