3) The Sorting Pt.2

His Sorting took about 4 minutes.

Everyone was watching with anticipation, waiting for him to be sorted.
And as he was eventually sorted into Slytherin, the whole house erupted into applause and he walked towards the Slytherin with a cocky smirk, as if he knows he belongs there.

"That was weird," I said.

"It was, wasn't it? How wasn't he here in his first year just like the rest of us?"

"Dumbledore's mistake?"

"I doubt it. It must be on purpose."

Dumbledore stands up again and announces while Filch goes to take the stool and the Sorting Hat to Dumbledore's office.

"Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast.
First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor."

"Well, pretty sure he's better than Lockhart," said Angelina.

"Surely," I reply.

" Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more time
with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid. Finally, on a more disquieting note
at the request of the Ministry of Magic Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time
as Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds.
Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities; A word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason
to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light. That's all, now dig in!"

"Well, that was depressing," I say

"Dementors at Hogwarts, the old guy's gone mad," says Fred Weasley sitting in front of us.

George tries to lighten up the mood, "At least the feast is as good as always."

We all nod in agreement. My whole plate was filled up and emptied in just about minutes.
I turned to look at Riddle because my curiosity took the best of me.

He was sitting next to Bradley Cooperson, a fifth year Slytherin, with an attitude of the minister of magic and looks of a hippopotamus.

"Enjoying the view, aren't you?" Said Angelina.

Caught by surprise, I turn my head towards our table and say, "What view," at which the twins started laughing.
"You like that Slytherin bastard? Come on Katherine, I thought you were better than that," said George, still laughing at me.

"Oh, fuck off Weasley. As if your choice is better than mine." I retort, earning 'oo's' from Angelina and Fred.

George has the biggest crush on Angelina, but she is oblivious to his hints. And I'm sure she likes him too from the way she looks at him.

Fred and I promised each other that we would make our life's mission to get those two together. And it hasn't progressed yet.

"So, when will you all tell me about that secret crush of George?" Angelina asks, to which Fred replies, "Soon, Angelina, soon."

Fred and I exchange secret looks, we both know it's time to start planning on how to get them together.

A treacle tart appears and I'm sure it won't last long.

——

It was the middle of the night, yet I was awake. I was in the hospital wing after Madam Pomfrey's relentless insisting that I sleep here.

My nose felt a lot better now. But being here on my first night here for my fourth year felt weird. Though I still felt drained after the dementor incident, I was much better now.

God, all that happened today was a complete disaster. Firstly, I sat with some random strangers from 7th year. And I actually have no idea why they liked 5th year boys so, I'm just gonna ignore that.

Second, I was eavesdropping and fell on my face. Third, I fainted on the Hogwarts Express.

Overall, the worst day of my life. I tossed and turned in the bed but I couldn't sleep. All I could think about was Riddle, the new guy.

——

I was woken by Madam Pomfrey in the morning just in time for breakfast. I was told to apply the bandage today for the last time.

Even though she used magic to heal the wound, she always made sure to follow precautions.

So there I was, running to my dormitory to change into my robes. On my way, I got my foot stuck in one of the missing steps on the staircase. I don't know how I manage to get my foot stuck there every time.

Finally, I went down holding my Transfiguration book, to the Great Hall.

I was greeted by Angelina when I went and sat down next to her. I grabbed a toast and started eating it in a hurry.

"Hey, slow down, Prof. McGonagall won't eat you alive if you don't reach the class in time." She says, handing a tissue, "Clean your face too, you look like an absolute mess."

"Thanks Angelina, for greatly improving my mood," I said sarcastically to her.

George and Fred came over and gave us our new time tables.

"Transfiguration, Double Potions, Care of Magical Creatures, History of Magic, Divination. Basically torture," she said sighing.

Angelina and I as well as Fred and George had the same subjects so we had the same time table.

Fred groaned and said, "At least we have Hagrid."

"Along with Trelawney," I added.

The three of them gave me dirty looks.

I put my hands up and say, "Don't blame the messenger."

Rolling their eyes, Fred and George go to Kenneth Towler and start talking with him.

Angelina got up and told me to come. Stuffing one more toast in my mouth, I followed her to the class.

——

We had our Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs. We had to transform a porcupine to a needle. None of us were able to do it, except the blonde Hufflepuff. Professor McGonagall went on and on the whole lesson about how good she was and how we should be more like her.

After countless failed attempts I sat down on my chair defeated. Finally the lesson ended, and no one got out of the class as fast as me.