The Ruse

I sat there burying my face in his chest. Blood dripped from my mouth with every cough that erupted from my body. My head was pounding with every breath and I felt horrible.

I remember this feeling.

*flashback*

"FUCK YOU WORTHLESS LITTLE SHIT!" She screeched in my ear.

Tears erupted from my eyes by the second. Why is she so mean? She's supposed to love me... Not hurt me.

Why did mommy and daddy have to leave on a business trip? Why don't they see the reason I have these bruises?

I saw her lift a knife... And to my horror, put it to my face.

"You're so lucky that your parents are Rich. There are so many people who would KILL to have your life," she hissed.

I saw the blade raise higher as she became more angry.

"Why are you doing this?" I whimpered.

The blade came down. I tried to pull away but the blade made a cut in my arm. It caused searing pain as I gripped my wound and fell to the ground. She kicked me over to the couch and walked away.

I cried until my head was hurting like crazy. I heard her pick up the phone and begin a charade.

"911?! PLEASE SEND AN AMBULANCE! SHE WAS PLAYING AROUND AS I WAS BAKING AND HURT HERSELF! SEND HELP IMMEDIATELY!" She sobbed into the phone.

A few minutes later they were lifting me onto a stretcher. I stared at the ceiling and saw black dots. I reached out to touch them and was consumed by darkness.

Absolute darkness.

*end of flashback*

I gently opened my eyes and looked at the scar.

Why me?

I looked up and saw his face, then the black dots.

Then the usual darkness took me away.