Prologue

In the radiant city of "Lumen," where the divide between wealth and poverty was stark, there existed a young, poor, near invisible individual named "Dulcinea Pescado." Pescado? What?
With a heart as vast as the sky and a voice that's turned bland over years of unuse, they bore the weight of their circumstances with quiet grace. Dulcinea was poor, overweight, lower on the needs scale, neurodivergent, and had only just landed on their feet and started to present as their true self - a transmasculine, sweet, lonely soul. They navigated their flour flavored  world with the delicate taste of sweet emotion, a stark contrast to the harshness of bitter reality. Bitter like bad almonds. But his father always liked almonds, so he swallows it with pride. Dulcinea was known for creating exquisite candy delicacies in North Lumen. A sea of candy stars flowed from their nimble, hardened hands. Hard like almonds. Bitter almonds.

In the same city, dwelling within the ivory towers of affluence, lived "Samuela Giovanni," often known as "Sammy" to those close to her. Which would be easy if it weren't for her little quirks. She was a vision of opulence,  a renowned photographer, a statuesque figure with an aura that was equally mesmerizing. Her hand was that of the gods, and her heart belonged to no one. For now.

Samuela's wealth was immeasurable, and she had an innate charm that danced through the hearts of those she met.  Despite her wealth, she bore her own burden, for she was a woman who carried the vibrant energy of ADHD in her wake, with a mother who would do all in her power to shut that pat down.

It was in the heart of Lumen that their paths would converge, a chance encounter that would change their lives forever. Dulcinea, in search of a fleeting escape from the weight of their existence, had banished himself from his original home in South Lumen Forest to build and work toward the grand opening of a small, family-owned candy store. That is, if he had a family. The sweet aroma of homemade confections filled the air, a cherished link to their father's love and warmth, and a constant reminder that life is sweet.

As Dulcinea or "Dulce" as he recently started calling himself, gazed at the confections, an extravagantly elegant figure stepped into their world. Sammy, with an alluring smile and sparkling eyes, held out an ornate box. Within it lay a single photograph – a portrait of Dulce, looking younger and thicker, beardless, and an older man with long locs and tired eyes and burnt black hands, captured in all their emotional authenticity.

Out of everything in the shop, their yellowed, uneven teeth, goofy smiles, wrinkled eyes and invisible infectious laughter was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. He had obviously made a mess- spilled a whole months worth of what seems to be foraged berries and honey. They would have to work day and night to get that much back. And yet there was nothing but joy.

Sammy, ever the flirt, used honeyed words that were soft, excitable, yet brimming with promises, "You there, I see in you a beauty the world hasn't known. I want to make you a star." How cheesy.

Dulce, overwhelmed by the audacity of hope and pure boldness of he words, could only muster a shy, awkward smile. And thus, with one photograph, an unexpected journey began, one that would weave their destinies together and lead them into a world of glamour, love, and self-discovery.