다섯

"You said you still haven't recovered?" A much younger Raon spoke as she sat on the beach, a blonde-haired boy right next to her, lying down on the sand

   "You said you still haven't recovered?" A much younger Raon spoke as she sat on the beach, a blonde-haired boy right next to her, lying down on the sand. She was thirteen years old then, having involved in the counter world just a mere two years ago. A hum left his lips as the older boy sat up, suddenly taking off his jacket. Raon watched curiously as he pulled down the collar of his shirt, a gruesome wound right where his heart would be coming into her view. She gasped, flinching at the raw display. "Does it hurt?"

   "Not anymore." Jihoon smiled. "The moment I got into your body, it stopped hurting and never once hurt since. I'm like a parasite, feeding off of your energy."

   "Why doesn't it heal then? Is my energy not enough?" Raon asked, deep concern in her irises. The older boy had become somewhat like a brother to her as she grew up with him and she had begun fussing over him just as much as she fusses over her mother.

   "It's more than enough. I was half-dead when I found you Raonie. The evil spirit who murdered my partner was way too strong. He didn't stop with just consuming him, he came after me too. Persistent little bastard." He laughed and Raon wondered how he was so cheery even when discussing such a depressing topic. "I guess, even beings like us can't recover from such grave injuries."

   "But, if my energy is what's keeping you alive, then-."

   "All the counter's partners are at risk of dying when their human partner dies. But I'll be more sensitive than any of them unfortunately. If something happens to you, it's more possible that I fade away even before your life is taken." He had a smile on his face but Raon noticed that it was more bitter now. "My Raonie ended up getting the weakest link huh?"

   "Don't say that, you're perfect for me." Raon punched his shoulder lightly as she smiled, bringing him in for a side hug. "You're much stronger than you think Jihoon-oppa."

   "Really?" Jihoon asked as he watched the younger girl with amusement in his eyes.

   "Mhm." She nodded fervently. "I've accepted you as a part of me, like a twin of sorts? So, you're not allowed to leave me."

   That made Jihoon laugh. A genuine laugh with pure joy he hadn't felt in a while.

   "I'm older than you though."

   "Still, I won't call you oppa anymore." Raon scrunched her face as she stuck out her hand, her pinky extended out. "Promise me; that you won't leave."

   "I promise." Jihoon smiled, his eyes forming crescents as he intertwined his pinky with hers. "I'll always be with you."

   "Ahjusshi," Mun cried after being pulled off of Hyeoku by Motak. Said man pushed him away, his eyes stern.

   "Why did you do that?"

   "I told them to stop. I told them to not hurt anyone. Look at what they did to Raon! What else was I supposed to do?" He whimpered through sobs and Motak pulled him into an embrace by his shoulder, patting his back.