[0.26] eat my dust

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒂𝒊𝒓 hangs with a subtle chill after Alby's declaration to call it a night. The bonfire's embers are slowly waning, casting long shadows between the shacks. Rue, however, feels a restlessness stirring within her.

After making sure Chuck had his sleeping arrangements sorted for the night, she did little to resist the call of a restless nighttime walk.

Her fingers trail along the rough-hewn walls of the Homestead as she walks, absorbing the familiar textures beneath her touch. The air is cool, carrying the scent of earth and the promise of dew settling on the grass. 

The world around her seems to exist in a suspended stillness, a quietude that contrasts with the whirlwind of thoughts in her mind.

Once inside, she comes to a stop in front of Newt's door, the wood worn and weathered from countless interactions. Rue takes a moment, her breath visible in the cool night air, before raising her hand to knock. The echoes of her gentle taps resonate in the silence, and she waits, a subtle tension settling in the space between each heartbeat.

The door creaks open, revealing Newt framed in the soft light escaping from within. His warm, brown eyes show slight wonder at the unexpected visitor. He thought she'd gone to bed as well. 

He had anticipated a night of solitude, the quiet hum of the homestead lulling him into a semblance of peace. Yet, here stands Rue, a silent deviation from what he had envisioned for the night.

The edges of his surprise soften into a warm curiosity as he opens the door wider. "Didn't expect to see you up. Everything alright?"

She meets his gaze, and there's a flicker of uncertainty before she speaks. "Can we talk?"

Newt studies her for a moment, before nodding. "Yeah, of course, come in."

Rue enters, and the door closes behind her, cocooning them in a space that feels both private and home-like. The soft glow of a single lamp casts a warm hue over the room as they find themselves facing each other.

As she gathers her thoughts, there's a brief silence, the air seized with unspoken feelings.

She takes a steadying breath, her eyes meeting his with unwavering determination. "I wanted you to know that I haven't changed my mind. I'm going back out there tomorrow."

Newt's expression tightens, that frown of his pulling through. He steps closer, his gaze searching hers. And then, he utters, "I know."

Her eyes flicker as she stares up at his familiar, gentle features. "You do?"

He offers her what could be described as a downcast smile. "You're a stubborn one, you know that?"

She responds with a subtle pursing of her lips. "So I've been told," she murmurs, her gaze now fixed on the floor, her blue eyes hidden from his.

Quite hesitantly, he reaches out, gently lifting her chin with his fingers, guiding her gaze back to his. "Rue, I get why you want to go out there. But it's even more dangerous now. You know it as well as I do."

Her eyes meet his again, and in that moment, he sees the unwavering resolve mirrored in her gaze. "I can't just stay here, Newt. I can't let others take the risk alone."

He sighs, a mixture of frustration and concern in the sound. "You're not just—"

"I'm one of them," she interrupts his sentence, her voice steady and filled with conviction. "And if we're going to survive this, we need to face it together."