Chapter 8: Unlikely Unity

Lt

Lt. Roberta Warren leaned against a wall, her arms folded across her chest. She watched silently as Raven's daughters embraced each other, their laughter echoing in the room. The sight brought a rare smile to Roberta's face. Despite the chaos and despair that the world had plunged into, the bond of love and unity was something that still prevailed. It gave her a glimmer of hope, a belief that they might just have a fighting chance if they stuck together.

Raven, the leader of their ragtag group, decided it was time to interview each member. A way to understand their strengths, their weaknesses, and more importantly, their motives. But the task was too massive for her to handle alone.

Raven scanned the room, her eyes landing on Rick and Deanna. Both were trustworthy, capable, and had a knack for understanding people. She approached them, asking if they could conduct a couple of interviews each. Rick was assigned to interview Charles Garnett and Mack, 

while Deanna was tasked with interviewing Cass, and Doc.

Raven, on the other hand, decided to handle the interviews of potentially dangerous members herself - Roberta, 10k, Addy, Citizen Z, and Murphy, the pale man who was always seen cradling a baby.

The sun had begun to set, painting the sky with hues of orange and pink. Raven pulled Rick and Deanna aside, a serious look in her eyes, "I can't stress this enough," she began, "Record everything. These interviews are not just a formality, they are history in the making. They're our stories, our experiences, our struggles. And recording them gives us a chance to revisit them, to understand them better."

Rick nodded, understanding the gravity of her words, while Deanna remained silent, her lips pressed into a thin line.

The first to enter the makeshift interview room was Roberta. Her eyes held a certain sadness that came from years of loss and survival. As she began to recount her journey, it felt as if a dam had been broken. Words, filled with pain and resilience, flowed from her lips. She spoke about her husband's death, the devastation it brought, and her attempts to find solace in Charles. But every time they got a moment alone, it was ruined by some unforeseen circumstance.

Raven couldn't help but chuckle, "Sounds like a post-apocalyptic soap opera." Yet, her laughter died quickly, remembering the sting of betrayal from her own past relationship. She cleared her throat, eager to steer the conversation away from personal heartbreaks and quickly got the interview over with.

Next were Murphy, 10k, and Citizen Z. Their interviews were done in a blur, Raven efficiently extracting their stories, their battles, their wins and losses.

The moment Addy walked into the room, the air seemed to shift. A chill spread, transforming the space into a cold echo of the warmth it once held. Her eyes, usually twinkling with life, held a haunted look. Her body language radiated pain and fear, a silent scream from a woman who had seen too much, endured too much.