Chapter 5: Marinette's Birthday: Part 2

Alya and Nathalie stood in the foyer, waiting. The younger female fiddling with her fingers.

"He'll be here in a minute." said Nathalie.

And soon enough, Tom was walking out of a room, walking to the stairs.

"Marinette's not home yet." He said, looking at the two females.

"Uh, I was coming to see you, sir." Alya spoke quietly.

"Me?"

Alya exhaled for a moment before gulping as she finally took a good look at her best friend's father. He was...huge. Almost as big as the Gorilla, the Agreste's bodyguard.

"Yeah, that's right." she finally answered, "Look, I know you don't want Marinette to have a party, but it's her birthday, sir. It's all she wants."

Tom glared:

"No. That's final."

Alya sighed. Marinette wasn't kidding. He was very stubborn. "Final" is a verbal piece of evidence that the Fashion Designer was right.

"That's messed up." said Alya bluntly, "She never screws up in class, she always does whatever you tell her: Forcing her into Fashion Design, not allowing her to do what she wants, never-"

"Alya? You're here." said a voice.

Alya and Nathalie turned to Marinette, who had entered without anybody noticing. She smiled as the bluenette walked to stand next to her. She must've gotten off early or something. Thought Alya.

"Anything for my girl." she said.

She turned to Tom.

"Show some awesomeness, sir, please." she begged.

Tom glared at her and Marinette sighed in defeat once again.

"Forget it, Alya. Really, it's fine." She reassured.

Marinette put a hand on her shoulder. Alya was about to open her mouth to talk before. However, Tom beat her to it.

"Listen, young lady," he began, "I decide what's best for my daughter. In fact, I've just decided that you're a bad influence and you're not welcome in my house ever again. Leave, now!"

Marinette gasped and stepped forward. Now that was just plain too far.

"Father, please," she said, her turn to beg, "she was just trying to do something for me."

Her explanation fell on deaf ears as Tom left. Nathalie stared at the site in shock herself, looking at Alya. She felt sorry for the brunette. She was only trying to make Marinette's life better, just like she was.

"Goodbye." Alya sighed.

She then started to leave, but Marinette caught her outside the front doors.

"Alya, wait!" she pleaded with her, "I'm sorry. My father...he's pretty stubborn. It's just best to stay out of his way."

Alya becomes more furious to learn that Marinette's father is even colder. How come Marinette has told...no one? Why must she suffer so alone? What is she trying to accomplish through something like this?

"It's not fair, Mari. Harsh, uncool." Alya said.

She crossed her arms and left, leaving Marinette behind.

"Alya!" She called out.

Alya turned, looking so defeated, down. She then saw Marinette smile a bit.

"Thank you..." she said.