Chapter 34

I stroll slowly into Roberts's office

I stroll slowly into Roberts's office. He doesn't look happy that I'm here — in fact, his lips have tightened into a thin line, and he's got one hand on the phone already. Ready to call my father.

"I wouldn't do that," I tell him. "I don't know yet if you acted with or without his permission."

I can see the flicker in his gaze. His loyalty battling it out against his curiosity. The latter wins — just as I knew it would. Men like Roberts are predictable.

"Acted on what?" He asks with a sigh.

I take the seat in front of his desk and watch him carefully for any reaction. "You visited a pub belonging to the Peaky Blinders on the ninth of November. Why?"

He answers with perfect calm. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Your name was recorded on a list of visitors. Turns out they're pretty stringent about keeping tabs on who goes into their territory. Especially when it's my father's accountant."

Roberts sighs. "My name was written on a piece of paper?" Visibly bristling with irritation, he pulls a notepad from his desk drawers and a fountain pen. He scribbles quickly across it, then slams it down in front of me. He's written, Thomas Shelby. "Look at that. The Peaky Blinders must have been here too. There's all the evidence we need. We'll kill them before sundown, shall we?"

I say, "You might be right. But I have a point to prove here, Roberts. I was determined to find evidence that you're innocent. We're innocent. So I checked the car cleaning and detailing..." I pull the record from my folder. "And you ordered a car cleaned the night after the Peaky Blinder guns were stolen. Everything except the tires... they were still muddy." I lay the paper on the desk, covering his own hasty scrawl. "The number plate matches the car the Shelby's saw fleeing the scene."

His face drains of colour. Suddenly, he's not so arrogant. "Give me that," he snaps, staring furiously at the receipt. Even he can't deny it. There, plain as day — authorisation; Roberts.

"You stole a bottle of their own whiskey. You brokered a third party to steal the car for you — genius, really. Trying to craft layers upon layers of plausible deniability. Now, tell me... Did my father know?"

"He wouldn't believe you," Roberts says quietly.

"No," I agree. "But he might believe the Shelby's when presented with all this evidence."

He sighs, thinking for a moment. Raking his hands through his hair. "What do you want out of this?"

"I'm facing humiliation," I say coldly. "This is my name on the line. I want the truth. I want to at least be prepared."

Roberts smacks his lips together and leans back in his seat. "You want the truth? I didn't do this. I didn't set foot near those guns."

I roll my eyes and begin standing to my feet. I should have known better than to expect a confession.

Roberts halts me with a finger as he speaks again. "But I know who did. And if I have certain assurances you won't tell your father about my involvement in any of this... I'll tell you."

My heart skips a beat in my chest. "How do I know you're not lying?"

"Because I have bloody proof. Far more concrete than a piece of paper and a set of muddy tires."

"Alright." I pause. "What do you mean by assurances?"

"You will take my altered evidence to your father. You will tell him who stole his guns. Make sure my name is clear for good. He'll never suspect I had a part to play in it."

"And why can't you take him the evidence yourself?"

"Because, it'll be much more believable coming from you. He may insist he thinks you're in bed with Alfie Solomons, but we all know who you're truly on your back for." His eyes flash. "You've been staying with the Peaky Blinders. You'll tell your father you were investigating them. And he'll believe you."

"Why?" I whisper the word, already anticipating the next ones to leave Roberts's lips.

"Because I have undeniable proof one of them knowingly framed us. Stole their own guns. It's been them this whole time, Miss Kimber. Give me your word, and I'll show you."