three

ONE GODDESS CAPTURED

Two minutes wasn't nearly enough time.

Ariana hoped Hazel had given everybody the right gadgets and adequately explained what all
the buttons did.

Otherwise things would get ugly.

While Percy was lecturing Frank and Percy on Archimedean mechanics (the tiniest bit she had learnt from Leo) Hazel stared at the stone archway and muttered under her breath.

Nothing seemed to change in the big grassy field beyond, but Ariana was sure Hazel had some Mistalicious tricks up her sleeve.

She was just explaining to Frank how to avoid getting decapitated by his own Archimedes sphere when the sound of trumpets echoed through the stadium.

Nike's chariot appeared on the field, the Nikettes arrayed in front of her with their spears and laurels raised.

"Begin!" the goddess bellowed.

Percy and Ariana sprinted through the archway. Immediately, the field shimmered and became a maze of brick walls and trenches. They ducked behind the nearest wall and ran to the left.

Back at the archway, Frank yelled, "Uh, die,
Graecus scum!"

A poorly aimed arrow sailed over Ariana's head.

"More vicious!" Nike yelled. "Kill like you mean it!"

Ariana glanced at Percy. "Ready?"

Percy hefted a bronze grenade. "I hope Leo labelled these right!" He yelled, "Die, Romans!" and lobbed the grenade over the wall.

BOOM!

Ariana couldn't see the explosion, but the smell of buttery popcorn filled the air.

"Oh, no!" Hazel wailed. "Popcorn! Our fatal weakness!"

Frank shot another arrow over their heads. Ariana and Percy scrambled to the left, ducking through a maze of walls that seemed to shift and turn on their own.

Ariana could still see open sky above her , but claustrophobia started to set in, making it hard for her to breathe.

Somewhere behind them, Nike yelled, "Try harder! That popcorn was not fatal!"

From the rumble of her chariot wheels, Ariana guessed she was circling the perimeter of the field - Victory taking a victory lap.

Another grenade exploded over Percy's and Ariana's heads. They dived into a trench as the green starburst of Greek fire singed Percy's hair.
Fortunately, Frank had aimed high enough that the blast only looked impressive.

"Better," Nike called out, "but where is your aim? Dont you want this circlet of leaves?"

"I wish the river was closer." Ariana muttered. "I want to drown her."

"Be patient." Percy chided.

Ariana rolled her eyes. "You sound like your girlfriend now."

Ariana pointed across the field. The walls had shifted, revealing one of the Nikettes about thirty yards away, standing with her back to them.

Hazel must be doing her thing - manipulating the maze to isolate their targets.

"I distract," Ariana said, "you attack. Ready?"

Percy nodded. "Go."

He dashed to the left as Ariana pulled a ball-peen hammer from her pocket and yelled, "Hey, Bronze Butt!"

The Nikette turned as Ariana threw. Her hammer clanged harmlessly off the metal lady's chest, but she must have been annoyed. She marched towards her, raising her barbed-wire laurel wreath.