Arc. 2/Ch. 6: Aftermath

In the aftermath of the chaos that ensued at the McFarland Mansion, Racheal was taken to the hospital to have her shoulder checked on. Interestingly, when they put her in the ambulance, she wasn't the only one they were taking to the hospital.

"Benjamin?!" Julie asked with shock as she walked along the rolling stretcher with her daughter on it.

"What? Where is he?" Racheal asked.

"Right there in the ambulance, sweetie," Julie smiled relief.

Once they rolled her in the ambulance, she was able to see her brother sitting in the side of it. His face was a bit bruised and battered, and his hands were bandaged up along with the upper right thigh.

"Bubba!" Racheal grinned.

"Hey, Speedy. Are you alright?" He grinned back.

"I'm fine, but what happened to you?!" She asked with concern.

"Ugh, got home just in time for that creep to give me a welcoming. I'm just lucky he wasn't there to kill me."

Racheal scoffed a dry laugh.

"Speak for yourself. Lucky for all of us, that guy in the hood was there to save the day."

Benjamin played the part of being uninformed as best as he could.

"I heard there was a guy like that, but isn't he the one that shot you?" He asked with a hint of pain and regret in his voice.

"It's OK, Ben. It was the only way he could save me."

Even with that said, Benjamin still hated himself for having to harm his sister, even if it was to save her life. He stared at the wound, which was also safely bandaged with her arm in a sling, with the utmost remorse. His heart aching with the agony of a knife piercing through.

Then, he felt a gentle hand cup his own. He glanced down to see his sister's free hand carrying a healer's touch as he carefully grasped his. He then shifted his gaze to meet hers, a pair of caring and sympathetic eyes welcoming him.

"I don't blame him at all, Bubba, and neither should you."

The way she said that, the way she looked at him, it was almost like...

"Hey, kiddo," his mother steps in before he is able to really process his sister's words, Julie engulfing him in a tight embrace. "I'm so glad you're OK. Next time, don't go silent the whole day, or alone for that."

Benjamin giggled as he hugged her back.

"It's OK, Mom, I'm fine. You didn't get hurt, did you?"

Julie pulled back before answering.

"No, all thanks to Blake here. Honestly, I would have a bullet in my head if it wasn't for him."

Benjamin grew shocked as he glanced at Blake, who stood right at the back of the ambulance.

"You took a bullet for her?"

"Well, I had a vest on, but yea, all part of the job."

Ben smirked with admiration before one of the EMTs chimed in.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but only one of you can ride with us with both of them here."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but is there really no other way?" Julie asked with worry. "After the night we've had, I don't want to leave their side and we do need him."

Blake spoke up before the medic could.

"It's OK, Julie. I'll be right behind you the whole time. You stay with your kids."