Three

Kit stared at the contact on his phone nervously. The name that stared up at him had been one he hadn't really talked to in a long time. Sure, he and Summer were on good terms and we're friendly. But they never really talked one on one since the break up.

He sighed before clicking on call button and brining his phone to his ear. With each ring, he felt his nerves bubbling up and wondered if this was worth it. Maybe he could get away with lying to Annie and saying that Summer denied all the allegations that her songs were about him.

On the other side of the world, Summer was humming to herself as she did her makeup. She glanced down at her phone as she heard it ring, seeing a name all too familiar to her. She smiled as she clicked answer and put the phone on speaker.

"Haven't heard from you in a while, Baby."

Kit sucked in a nervous breath as he heard her voice. Nothing had changed, clearly, as she used his old nickname easily and spoke with confidence he never saw on anyone else. He smiled to himself, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. Her voice was just as smooth and sweet as he remembered it being, unable to recall the last time he had heard her talking directly to him. 

"Summer, come on," he said gently, "Don't do that."

"Old habits die hard," Summer teased, "What do I owe the pleasure, Kit?"

"Um," Kit felt himself growing nervous. He didn't know if he really wanted the answer to the question on the top of his tongue. He felt that it might change everything for him. "How are you?"

"I am opening for Taylor Swift on the Eras Tour, people love me instead of hate me and I did my eyeliner first go," Summer tilted her head as she glanced at her phone. "Why'd you really call, Kit?"

He sighed, "Annie thinks that's the ep is about me."

"It's pretty presumptuous of your girlfriend to think my songs are about you," Summer teased, "I mean, it's been almost a year since we broke up."

"Well, are they?" Kit asked her with a small smile.

"Oh yeah, they totally are," Summer grinned.

Kit paused. He didn't really know what to expect with her answer. A part of him always knew that they were about him. After all, there were so many lines that he felt were for him to hear. But then again, there was so much time between their break up that he really wanted her to say that they weren't. Because if it's about him then that changes everything.

"Did you really need to make 'A Nonsense Christmas' so dirty when everyone already knows 'Nonsense' was about me?" Kit asked with a small chuckle.

"It's not that dirty," Summer argued.

"Boy, that package is too big to gift wrap?"

"Your girlfriend should be happy that I wrote that about you!" Summer giggled.

"I need that Charles―"

"Okay!" Summer cut him off with a laugh, "I get it! I'll get Joe on my team so he can put a halt on my unserious song writing."

"Summer," Kit sighed, running a hand through his hair, "I mean... what was the end goal?"

"Look Kit," Summer cut him off, "They're old songs from when we first broke up last year. But I still mean every word I wrote. I'm not saying you have to do anything but my offer is there."

"Offer?"

"I'm staying in London for Christmas with Sarah like we do every year," Summer said softly, "We can see each other if you want and talk. Make amends. See if that spark is still there..."

"Summer, you broke up with me," Kit argued, feeling his cheeks warm up.

"Because I had so much going on," Summer told him, "Baby, I was on tour non stop this year and when it ended I was straight into opening for Taylor. Next year I'll be with her from February until August. But I realised that I want someone to come home to and I want it to be you if you'd let me."

"Summer," Kit sighed, "I wish you could of figured this out sooner."

"I'm sorry, baby," Summer said softly, "Just let me know, okay? I wasn't joking when I said these songs were for you. They're all for you."

"Do you still love me?" Kit breathed out.

"Who could ever stop loving you?" Summer smiled, "You don't have to take me up on my offer. We can pretend this conversation never happened and you can live happily ever after with Annie if that's what you want. I just want you to know that you've got options."

There was a pause, Kit unable to get any words out or even process what the girl was saying to him. 

"I gotta go," Summer said softly, "Stay in touch, Kit."

Then Summer hung up. Kit gritted his teeth, sucking in a nervous breath as he glanced around the room. He had no idea what to think now.

On one hand, Summer would always be in his heart. She was the kind of girl that made being in love so easy. She was sweet, charming and loved with her whole heart. She met Kit during a dark time in her life and he helped her build her confidence back up. She was the girl he loved and that didn't stop even after their relationship ended. 

But now he had Annie. She was there for him when he was heartbroken over Summer and made him think he could love again. She was funny and lovely and what he needed during that time in his life. But now as he sat in his room, he knew that his heart still beat a little for Summer. He didn't want to hurt his girlfriend, but then again, he couldn't keep listening to her talking badly about Summer when she had been nothing but nice to her.

Did Summer really care if she confidently announced to him that her ep was about him?

"Fuck me," Kit muttered, flopping back onto his back.