Twelve

When Summer's eyes fluttered open the next morning, she could hear her head pounding. She winced as she brought a hand up to hold her head, only to realise that she was not in her own bed. She glanced around before seeing a familiar mop of strawberry blonde locks lying on the pillow beside hers.

"Holy shit," she muttered. "Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck."

Summer slowly crept out of bed, doing her best to not make any noise and disturb the sleeping boy beside her. She grabbed her phone, which he had thankfully put on charge, and made her quick escape to the bathroom. She glanced at the sink, wrinkling her nose as she saw a few of Annie's things that must have been left behind — a hairbrush, some lip glosses and some makeup remover.

Summer pushed them off the sink, landing them perfectly into the bin. Oops.

She then grabbed her phone and called her sister. If there was anyone that would know what to do, it was Sarah Clarke. It rang a few times, Summer biting down on her lip, until it connected.

"Who did you fuck and where do I need to pick you up from?" Sarah immediately asked with a snort.

"I didn't fuck anyone," Summer rolled her eyes. She paused. "I definitely wanted to but I was so wasted and Kit said—"

Summer was cut off by a screech. "Kit fucking Connor?!"

"Yes," Summer sighed, "I called him when I was drunk and he came to pick me up. I yelled at him and obviously he's got some issues because then he kissed me. Weird turn on but whatever. But all we did was kiss and then I fell asleep in his bed and what do I do?"

"Just talk to him Summer," Sarah told her, "He's not a shitty ex boyfriend. He was your favourite love that ended because you were so busy touring and you didn't want him to feel like he had to wait for you. He knows you're touring with Taylor Swift now and he's still willing to do this. He obviously knows what will happen and doesn't care. He wants you. So, talk to him."

"You're right," Summer sighed, "How are you always right?"

Whatever Sarah responded with didn't go process in Summer's head. Instead, her attention was brought to the light knock on the bathroom door. She bit her lip, knowing that she would have to face him eventually.

"I'll call you back, Sarah," Summer whispered before hanging up the phone.

She stood up, unlocking the door and slowly opening it. She looked up at a tired Kit, the boy staring down at her sleepily. 

"You left," he mumbled, rubbing at his eyes. 

"A girl can't pee without getting questioned now?" she said lightly. 

"You coming back?" he asked, opening the door fully so he could see her. 

"We should talk, Kit," she sighed, running a hand through her hair, "About everything."

"Okay," Kit nodded.

"I'm not going to get any less busy," she told him, "I've got so much on next year. So much."

"I know," he nodded, "You were always an over achiever."

She smiled softly, "What I'm trying to say is that... it's not going to be easy. And I didn't give you the choice last time. I thought you would be better off. And I regret that every day."

"I know," he told her softly, "I should have fought for you."

"I never should have put you in a position to do that though," Summer shook her head, "I want to be with you. I do. But I don't want to mess things up like I did last time."

"You won't," he said softly, "You wouldn't, Summer. I know you were scared last time. But even after all that, I never stopped loving you."

"I'm so sorry about everything," she mumbled.

"Don't be," he told her, "I know you better than you think. Which is why I know that you never stopped loving me either."

She smiled softly, leaning up and kissing him gently. He hummed happily, cupping her cheeks gently as he leaned down to meet her. It was sweet and gentle, neither of them in any hurry to do anything else. 

"I missed you, Baby," she murmured. 

"I missed you too," he responded, "Want me to make you some breakfast?"

She hummed happily, "No eggs please. I'm still pretty hungover."

He chuckled, kissing her forehead softly, "Of course, baby. You still love chocolate chip pancakes?"

"More than anything," Summer grinned.

So, that's exactly what they did. Summer sat on the kitchen bench while she watched Kit cook. It was almost as though no time between them had even passed. He moved around the kitchen while Summer ate the chocolate chips out of the bag. He occasionally leant up to kiss her before getting back to work.

"Hey," Summer said gently, "Do you think we could keep everything more on the private side for a while?"

Kit glanced up at her, placing a plate of freshly baked pancakes beside her. "Yeah, why?"

She winced, "I've been labelled a homewrecker once before. I could go without that all happening again."

He nodded his head, "It was my fault this time around. You didn't do anything―"

"It doesn't matter," she told him, "The people will see what they want to see. And I just don't need that all happening again. It won't be forever. Just until you and Annie have been broken up for a respectable amount of time."

He nodded his head, "Of course."

She leaned over and kissed the boy, pulling him between her legs from where she was sat on his bench. He smiled against her lips as he kissed her back sweetly. Summer cupped his face gently, her fingers brushing against his jaw lightly as she took in everything that was Kit. She couldn't believe how dumb she had been to ever let him go. 

He pulled away slightly, running a finger up her neck until it hooked under her chin to get her to look up at him. He smiled down at her stupidly, unable to tear his eyes away from the pretty blonde in front of him. Summer filled the gap between them, kissing him quickly and desperately, wanting to just be with him more than ever. 

It wasn't long until the pancakes had been completely discarded, Kit and Summer stumbling their way back to his bedroom with giggles and messy kisses.