Chapter 4

Chapter 4 (Steve's POV)

    SILENCE IS LOUD

Tatum woke up early, she was on the phone with her mom telling her she slept over at a friend's house. Meanwhile, I got ready for school. 

Once the 2 of us were ready to leave the house we both got into my car and I drove us to the school. I parked my car and ran into the building. We separated so I didn't seem like I drove her to the school. I sprinted to morning basketball practice.

"Hey Harrington, heard you used to run this school. King Steve is what they used to call you, huh? Then you turned bitch." Billy Hargrove said, trying to get the basketball from me. 

I try to brush him off, "Maybe you just shut the hell up and play the game." 

Billy shoves me to the ground but I quickly get up running for the ball. Billy dribbles the ball and shoots it up into the net and makes a basket. 

I panted as I watched Billy cheer.

"Steve?" I heard a voice call. It was Nancy. 

I glared at Billy as I walked out of the gym temporarily to talk to Nance.

"What do you want?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"What do you think? Where were you this morning? I missed first period." Nancy says. 

"I figured Jonathan would take you." 

"Wha.. what a are you talking about?" Nancy stutters.

I scoff falls out of my mouth followed by a sigh, "Jeeze. You really cannot handle your alcohol. Uh.. you remember going to Tina's party last, right?"

"Yes. I remember dancing, and.. spilling some punch. You got mad at me because I was drunk.. and then you took me home." Nancy replies.

I grab the small sweat towel I had and hang it over my neck, "You see, that is where your mind gets a little bit fuzzy. That was your other boyfriend... that was Jonathan."

"I don't get it.. " Nancy says.

"Apparently... we killed Barb, and I don't care because I'm bullshit. And our whole.. relationship is bullshit. I mean everything is just... bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Oh, yeah. Also you don't love me." 

"Steve! I was drunk! I don't remember any of that." Nancy defends.

"So what? Does that make everything that you said just bullshit too?" I argue.

"Yes!"

"Then tell me." I say.

"Tell you what exactly?" 

"That you love me." 

I wait for Nancy's response, but one of my teammates comes up to me, "Harrington! Come on man! That douchebag is killing us!" He yells, referring to Billy.

Before I walk back into the gym I wait to see is Nancy would reply. She just looks at me with sad eyes. 

"I think that you're bullshit." I mumble. I walk back into the gym to finish the game.

The next class I had was math. Ironically enough, Tatum is in that class.

I wrote a note to Tatum and tossed it over to her desk.

          My house after school?

      □Yes                          □No

She rolled her eyes at me and threw the paper back at me. She returned it like this,

          My house after school?

            □Yes                  □No

                    ■Maybe

I narrowed my eyes at her,  but moved on. I glanced up at the clock it said '11:54'                                 6 minutes until lunch. I sat through Mrs. Johnson's boring lecture of scientific notation and completely bolted out of the class at 12:00. 

Lunch was nothing special and neither was the other classes I had for the rest of the day. At dismissal I grabbed my backpack and started to walk over to Tatum's locker. 

"Hey!" I said.

"Hello Steven.." She said closing her locker.

"So is that a yes? You wanna hang?" 

She smiles brightly, "Sure." 

I smile back at her and lead her to my car. I saw Nancy and Jonathan sitting together and talking. I try to put all my attention to Tatum who was walking to my car. She looked oddly nervous. She was chewing on her finger nails and picking at her hands. Once we got to my car I drove off. 

"So how your day?" I ask.

"Oh, yeah it was good.." 

"Are you ok?" 

Tatum chuckles, "Oh yeah. I'm just a little worried I might in trouble when I get home. My mom is kinda strict with me. I dunno.."

"You want me to drive you home?" 

"Actully yeah, I'm sorry. I just gotta go home."

I nod in response. I drive Tatum to her house and wave as she leaves the car.

"See you later!" I shout.

I drove back to my house and parked in the driveway. I sighed at the sight of an empty house. I plopped down on the couch and put on a movie. I got up and walked into the kitchen, I ate a small snack then ran up the stairs. I turned on some loud music. I always have the TV and music playing. It adds noise to the quiet house. I walked back down stairs and just sat on the couch, not know what to do with myself. I dug through my backpack, maybe I could find some homework to do, I thought to myself. Crazy right? I'm so bored I'm doing homework. I thought about what happened with Nancy today. I knew she liked Jonathan, she just didn't want to admit it. I knew since I saw him in her room. I laid my head back on the couch and exhaled deeply. The small thought Nancy just.. interesting to me, I guess. If that makes sense. 

Was I really bullshit? 

I guess what they say is actually true... Silence is the loudest thing ever.

Authors note: so, this chapter was kinda sad. It showed Steve's perspective on some things, like Nancy, and his parents.