Chapter Three

Eugene opened his eye to a groggy sky. His head hurt. Odd, he hadn't felt pain since he died. He sat up to see Jasmine leaning against the decaying brick wall.

“Finally. At least one of you is awake.” She walked over. Eugene noticed that she looked slightly worried.

“Is something wrong?” He asked, his headache beginning to throb. Jasmine tapped her fingers on the wall nervously as she nodded.

“So, it seems like Slash, you remember him, right?” Upon Eugene's now nervous nod, she continued. “Right, so, anyway, apparently he found out what we're trying to do, and he is not happy-” She shuddered.

“Isn’t that the creep that kidnapped my little brother?” Terrence’s voice came from behind the two. Eugene jumped a little, looking at his friend. Jasmine stared for a moment, but slowly nodded.

“Yea, yea, that’s the one. He’s mad we’re trying to come back to life.” Jasmine continued, a bit unsettled by the demon’s dark tone. Terrence seemed so purely polite and cautious when he spoke (She assumed it might’ve had something to do with his… upbringing) that the low, rageful tone startled her.

Terrence looked angry, but he quickly turned to the three kids they’d brought along and tried shaking them awake. “Let’s just… keep going. Once we get back to life, they won’t be able to stop us.”

Jasmine nodded, digging through her pockets for something. She sighed and cursed under her breath. “Alright, so apparently someone took my weapons, so I need to get more.”

Ida groaned a bit, curling in on her body. She muttered something about her body hurting then shakily stood up. “Weapons… weapons… need weapons.” She quickly held out her hands, and a couple of knives appeared in her hands. Ida fumbled them and they fell to the ground, but she didn’t seem to notice. She looked up at the sky.

Jasmine looked over, concerned. “Ida, are you alright?” She walked over, catching the young ghost before she fell over.

Ida attempted waving her away. “Fine.” She mumbled. “I think there’s something in the air.” She said, squinting at the sky again.

Terrence sighed anxiously. “Of course, this place is dystopian. Of course you’re not gonna be used to the air- and you have a fully physical form.” He observed.

“Might also have something to do with the fact my lungs are already sucky.” Ida half-laughed. “Second-hand smoke. The effects apparently don’t like going away, even when you’re dead.” She explained. Jasmine felt herself wince, recalling the times Ida would stop and cough as if her lungs were withering. She’d felt annoyed by it before, but hearing how Ida explained it-.

It made her feel sorry for her.

Coby scrambled to his feet and rushed over to his friend. Ida gazed vaguely at him. “I’m not going to…” She coughed again. “Have enough strength to stay continually in my ghost form. I-I need a way… to breathe in this form.”

Ida leaned her head back, feeling her eyes burn with anger. She was a ghost. How dare air affect her. How dare this miserable future force her to need to breathe. She thought. “I-...” She didn’t quiet know what to say.

Eugene and Jasmine helped her sit. “Okay, we’ll find something for you. Coby, you stay with her.” Eugene instructed. He looked to the others. “Let’s go. There’s got to be something around.”

Jasmine nodded and walked off smoothly, despite the fact she was experiencing Ida’s problem as well. “Some people have got to have facemasks, or something,” Terrence muttered, looking around at the disheveled mess.