From the beginning Pt.2

On the 7th day of their stay at Cloud Recesses, Wei Wuxian had somehow found out that the Twin Jades were going to Caiyi town to hunt down water ghosts. He did not bother to ask why but he wanted to go along. You could say that Lan Xichen had gotten closer to him in the couple of days that he tutored Jiang Cheng. And Jiang Cheng had fallen hopelessly in love with Lan Xichen. 

So when the Jades were leaving the two found their way to them, right in front of the main entrance. 

- - - - - - - - -

"ZeWu-Jun!!" Wei Wuxian called out to Lan Xichen before Jiang Cheng could even open his mouth. 

He shot a quick glare at Wei Wuxian but deep inside he was thankful that the older said it instead of him. Jiang Cheng could literally see himself stuttering. Lan Xichen who heard the voice turned around with Lan Wangji by his side. He gently smiled.

"Wei Gongzi. Young Master Jiang." Lan Xichen sightly bowed before eyeing his brother who grumbled before bowing too. 

"Zewu-Jun! I heard your going to hunt water ghosts in Caiyi town." Wei Wuxian enthusiastically said and Lan Xichen nodded. 

"Zewu-Jun let us go with you too." Jiang Cheng slightly nodded but didn't make eye contact with the other, instead he looked around him, anywhere expect his eyes. 

"It's against the rules." said Lan Wangji before his brother could even respond. Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes as he watched Lan Xichen give Lan Wangji a look before turning back to them. 

"Aiya Lan Zhan! Me and A-Cheng grew up in YunMeng which is surrounded by water. We would be of great help." Wei Wuxian convincingly stated and Jiang Cheng mumbled something, that the rest could not hear.

"I don't see why not." was the last thing Lan Xichen said before Wei Wuxian cheered. 

Jiang Cheng smiled to himself before responding to the older. "Thank you Zewu-Jun." 

"Aiya -- I told you Lan Zhan!" Wei Wuxian chirped as he clung onto Lan Wangji's side. Anyone could see that Lan Wangji detested Wei Wuxian but his brother was set of making Lan Wangji smile and somehow even become friends with him. 

Jiang Cheng sighed and rolled his eyes. They were both so detestable. He pulled Wei Wuxian next to him. 

"A-Cheng!" Wei Wuxian unhappily mumbled and Jiang Cheng only sneered. "Calm down Wei Wuxian.

("Why did you invite them along Xiong-zhang?" A quiet voice said and Lan Xichen smiled. 

"I thought you were friends with Wei Gongzi, Wangji. I thought you might want him along." 

But Lan Wangji only rolled his eyes. "Are you sure it's not you Xiong-zhang?" 

Lan Xichen raised his eyebrow in confusion and Lan Wangji sighed for the millionth time. "Xiong-zhang, I'm not blind." Lan Wangji glanced at Jiang Wanyin who was behind them and a solemn look crossed his face. "You must conceal it -- Ge. Uncle would never agree." Lan Wangji watched as his brothers smile faded and gazed into his eyes trying to figure out what he was thinking but -- his brother always did it better than he ever could. Something stood on edge in his heart but the younger Jade could not figure it out. Lan Xichen watched as his brother sped up, walking ahead of him. He sighed.)

- - - - - - - - -

The investigation went well? Jiang Cheng's brother managed to find out what happened and eventually prevent what happened. Once they had managed to fight off the water ghosts he heard people go up to Wei Wuxian and thank him. 

But what about him? Jiang Cheng had been the one to save half the disciples from falling straight into the water ghosts. Jiang Cheng was the one who had lent himself as bait so Wei Wuxian wouldn't have literally died to a water ghost. But no one thanked him. 

He was sure he was an invisible structure to everyone there in the lake. He had trudged all the way back to his quarter in Cloud Recesses as his brother smiled happily with a couple of other Lan disciples and Lan Wangji who getting dragged by Wei Wuxian. It was always Wei Wuxian. Everyone loved him and who didn't. Even his father loved him more than Jiang Cheng himself. 

He felt a presence behind him and knew who it was but he didn't dare turn his head, too ashamed to say anything. Maybe the "heroic" deeds done were just his own imagination. Who knows? A-Jie did teach him to play imaginary when he was young. 

- - - - - - - -

But of course -- they all had to leave eventually. He had packed up once he woke up that morning. They would be leaving early since their parents had a trip to attend later this week. His brother had gone out to say goodbye to his friends and he was alone in his room before he heard a knock. Jiang Cheng knew it was not his brother. Wei Wuxian never knocked. But the person on the other side was someone Jiang Wanyin did not expect. 

"Zewu-Jun?!" Jiang Cheng exclaimed making Lan Xichen chuckle. 

"Good morning to you too, Young Master Jiang." 

"I-I'm sorry -- I mean good morning." Jiang Cheng mentally slapped himself before bowing. 

"I was wondering --" Lan Xichen paused thinking back to what his brother said to him while on their way to Caiyi Town. "If you would like to go on a morning walk?" He asked his eyes hopeful. His brothers words were now a mile away.

Jiang Cheng froze, while trying to decipher the words that left his crushes mouth. 

"P-Pardon?"

Lan Xichen's shoulder deflated. "I -- I am sorry if my request posed as an imposition. I was merely wondering." 

"No-no,  I woul -- I -- I must finish packing Zewu-Jun." Jiang Cheng sighed before looking at Lan Xichen one more time. He closed the door and slammed his head into his pillow. 

"Ahh -- you fucking dummy, You had a chance!" He groaned into the pillow. 

When Jiang Cheng went home, his parents were already gone but they didn't leave for too long. His life returned back into its old boring pattern. His mother yelling, his father ignoring him and the endless training.

I want to go back. 

To Be Continued --