From the beginning Pt.4

"Sect Leader, you have a visitor." Jiang Cheng frowned.

"Bring him in." He motioned for the disciple to leave. Jiang Cheng had just returned from the meeting at the Carp Tower and was exhausted. His assistant had drowned him in more work and he was far more annoyed than he should be. Jiang Cheng needed a break. He sighed, rose from the pile of paperwork surrounding his desk, and sat at the tea table near the study. 

"Good to see you again Sect Leader Jiang." The familiar voice drew Jiang Cheng's immediate attention and he looked up to find a smiling Lan Xichen standing at the door frame, looking as regal as ever. 

"The pleasure is all mine." Jiang Cheng stood up to bow. As Protocol states, Lan Xichen is older and more experienced and has a higher status than him, so it is formality to do so. 

"No need for formalities, Sect Leader Jiang. We are acquaintances." Lan Xichen took a seat opposite of him and Jiang Cheng forced a smile. 

"Indeed. This is quite an impromptu visit, Sect Leader Lan. I presume the meeting at the Carp Tower is over?" 

Lan Xichen smiled lightly. "Not really. I went there to see you and you have left so I came here to see you again." 

"Oh." Jiang Cheng paused. To see him? Why? 

"Well, you are welcome to come visit--" 

"Would you like to go on a walk?" 

["Would you like to go on a morning walk?"]

Jiang Cheng's eyes widened. He remembered that day as clear as night. He also remembered how he refused the older man. Something he regretted to death. If only he had accepted the request, maybe their relationship would have at least been somewhat different. they would've been friends rather than just acquaintances. 

The hope in Lan Xichen's eyes faltered something in him and he smiled. "Why not? I seem I seem to need a break from work anyway." He prodded at the huge stack of papers crowding his desk. 

_ _ _ 

There was a weird feeling peace as Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen walked side by side through the streets of YunMeng. They had ultimately decided to go somewhere with more people so they avoided an awkward interaction with each other. The plan really didn't work.

"YunMeng has grown a lot since I was last here." Lan Xichen commented and Jiang Cheng nodded, proud. 

"Yes, indeed. A lot has changed throughout the years, YunMeng apart of them. It's something I take pride in." 

"It is placed with a good Sect and a great Sect Leader, of course it has flourished." 

Jiang Cheng flushed at the simple words. His little crush on Lan Xichen was getting a bit ridiculous. Now that they were both Sect Leaders with matters to attend to, it wasn't really ideal for him to have such dangerously lingering feelings. 

"I must come visit Gusu when I have time then, I must only imagine how vivid it is now. I think it has been years since I last visited Cloud Recesses." 

"It has. Actually, next weekend, if you are able to, we are having a banquet at the Cloud Recesses. I was thinking you would like to attend." Lan Xichen carefully tread his words. He was not looking for rejection, rather, this was a carefully articulated plan that might go one way or the other.  He watched slowly, as Jiang Cheng slowed down, deep in thought before a smile entered his face. 

"I don't see why not."

Lan Xichen smiled. "I'm glad to hear that." 

_ _ _