✹forty nine✹

╣she couldn't stand to see a savage northern girl take her crown╠

The throne room walls were busting at the seams. In order to cross to another side, one had to move with an arsenal of 'excuse me's' and 'pardon me my lord's' at the ready. Arya's arsenal was forced to attain many more words than that. Every turn she took, a lord or lady descended upon her as if she were some mangled animal and they the vultures circling above.

"Queen Arya, it is such an honor to-" One could barely get out before "May I be of the first to congratulate you-" and then, "Such a fate for you my queen, you must be elated." Arya was sure she would be elated when all these people returned to their keeps and villages.

She had her sights set on Jaime. The Kingslayer was not bad company during a public event. His reputation scared most of the lower standing nobles away and his attitude had alienated most of the higher ones. Arya found that though his past deeds were lest than tasteful, Jaime's conversation skills were quite the opposite. He stood by the throne a few steps away from his father and Tommen, scanning the crowd, glaring at the food. He would not let another king die so quick after the last.

Their eyes met as she broke through the throng of people before the base of the Iron Throne. He, more mocking than dutifully, bent into a low bow. "My queen." He joked lowly, as she approached.

Arya sighed and pinched him on the arm where his golden armor did not cover. "Don't embarrass yourself idiot." He straightened with a crooked smile. "How long do I have to stay?" There was a barely contained pout behind her words and Jaime had to hide a laugh.

"Till the room empties itself your grace, as tradition states." Arya snuck a look back to Tommen. He was smiling. He was actually happy to be there. As if he could feel her eyes on him, he turned to face her. Arya snapped the other way so fast her golden circlet nearly flew off her head.

Her face burned with embarrassment as she reached up to correct it. "Don't call me that."

"You may have been able to escape the name 'lady'" Jaime started, reaching up to nudge her golden crown. "But this is awfully difficult to ignore."

"I don't have to wear this everyday do I?" Arya was sure she would die if it were the case.

Jaime shook his head. "You can do anything you wish your are-"

"The queen, I know." Arya said, shifting uncomfortably under the weight of her heavy dress. "No need to remind me."

Jaime went quiet for a while. Arya didn't mind. She was contented enough to listen to the soft hum of conversation around them. Cersei was nowhere to be found. She had left the room the moment Arya knelt before Tommen. Apparently she couldn't stand to see a savage northern girl take her crown.