Chapter Seven

"Come now, Mr. Davidson, no need to proceed with the guard dog routine. As you should know, Regina and I set our differences aside," Cora snottily quips but Guy folds his arms across his chest and glares down upon her.

"I'm not letting my guard down for one second," he firmly declares. "I turned my cheek too many times and won't allow that to happen again."

Cora breathes out an indignant huff through her nose and steps around him just as Regina exits her dressing room.

"Darling, you were magnificent tonight. And you added a song," Cora praises but Regina can feel the underlying disappointment about that particular song.

Jefferson snickers behind his hand while Ruby grins like a wolf that just stretched its legs against a full moon because they both know where that song was originated from.

"Yes, I hope you enjoyed that one. I'm quite partial to it," she says with an air of indifference but really she wants to get under her mother's skin and scratch every raw nerve along the way.

Cora flashes the fakest smile and loops her arm through Regina's. "Yes, I'm sure you are. After all, nobody holds a candle to your wife," she gushes, smiling so brightly as if the paparazzi are lurking in the shadows.

Regina's spine immediately straightens, wondering if this damn woman paid off the staff to allow the paparazzi inside. Jefferson's attention is already swinging from left to right, just as suspicious but neither one finds anyone sneaking around. So naturally, Regina allows her mother to walk her out of the building.

"Regina," Kathryn awkwardly clears her throat and nods to Cora, silently requesting the photo and statement that was discussed earlier.

"I'm feeling rather exhausted this evening. Guy, are we ready to head back to the hotel?"

He grins wildly from ear to ear and rushes to step in front of her to block her from the crowd she knows is waiting for her. "The limo is all set and ready when you are."

Regina smiles softly back at him before she turns toward Cora. "Mother, thank you for coming again this evening," and then she is lightly patting her mother's arm and slowly untangling herself from the woman's clutches. "Maybe we can do breakfast again before I leave Vegas."

"Of course, my dear. I would absolutely love that," Cora says just as her security team opens up the door and gives all the screaming fans a glimpse of Cora kissing her daughter's cheek.

Regina's jaw clenches, her heart holding its breath because she has a sickening sensation that her mother ordered her team to do that on purpose. She can't think about that now though because dozens of flashing lights are going off and she has to remind herself to fake a smile for her reputation's sake.

"Regina! Oh, your mother came again!"

"Regina! It's so great to see you out and about with your mother again!"

Jefferson steals her hand and leads the way with Ruby toward the limo and she is so thankful because everything is a blurry haze right now and her mind is a little clouded from the blinding rage.

"Regina! I love that Robin is still performing with you!"

"Regina! Can you take a selfie with me?"