Ascension

"I" the wishing girl began, "Why do I?"
Her voice had a spacious, ethereal tone as she called out to emptiness, only the vast ocean surrounding her. There was a sensation swelling within her. Slowly, she could feel herself rise. It was different, it was otherworldly. It was not human. She opened her eyes and stared down, the still body below her. Her dark curled hair swayed and looked as though it were spreading and and floating, the way a jellyfish would move. Her eyes were closed, hiding the brown hues her lids covered. Her lips were slightly parted and her skin seemed to be paler. It was her. She was looking at herself. She was looking at her body, what was left of her on earth.
It faded more and more as she rose up, she could feel a melting sensation grow stronger as this happened. She stared at herself until she was taken by the air. She could no longer see the lifeless girl in the sea.
As she continued to rise, her eyes adjusted to the brightness that surrounded her. Now far from the navy blue ocean, she was surrounded by a lighter indigo shade. It's the sky, she thought. I was in the ocean and now I am in the sky. She felt a bit strange as she realized this. She expected to be drenched with water, adding weight to her hair and her clothes. But this was not so, for she was dry and lighter than ever before. There was that force again. She felt it mount and rise, the cool air and seabreeze revolving around her. While it was only her lone soul floating out into the sky, she imagined she was a bright, white cloud that was painted pink and yellow by the sun and the sky. She imagined herself as being part of the collection of colours that spread across the vast canvas of a sky. She imagined she was part of the air and the clouds and all forms of nature that could be seen. Part of her, deep down in her core, believed she was those things. She looked out at the sun in all of its brightness and radiance.
"I have tried," the wishing girl called out, "and I have given my whole heart to do and live. Now I can no longer suffer and endure new pains and horrors. All is still now. The only new direction I must travel is up. I must raise myself to the heavens. I wish to meet spirits of my kind and surround myself with the earth and spirits of the sky. I must guide those whose experiences have resembled mine and strive to help their wandering souls."
She smiled slightly to herself as she looked around her. The earth looked small to her, which made her wonder if it was always this way. The sky looked larger than ever, and it also made her wonder if it just started getting larger or if it only appeared that way. She felt the air around her again, admiring its consistency. She may lose everything, but at least she had the air. She started to believe she was the air, a spirit of nature. Yes, she would roam the earth, flying as the clouds took her around. She would watch over souls like her and offer her aid. She would help bring dreams to them, and she would help make those dreams come true. She would nourish the plants that resided on earth, and she would do so to all other forms of nature. She was life. She wanted to give life. Comparative to a goddess of some sort, this spirit of the air would watch all and guide all. This spirit of nature would bring gifts and in helping those around her, she would feel a swelling and rising within her. She would know she is happy and warm and full.
She smiled and looked down at the ocean again. She remembered there was someone under the water. She needed help, she thought. She had nowhere to go. As a result, she landed here. Oh, I wish I could have done something.
But it was too late for that. She looked back at the sun. Its rays did not blind her, for she could not feel the human sensation of strain and blindness. She could gaze at the sun all the day long. And at night, she would gaze at the moon. She continued to rise and move toward the horizon, where the sun was rising. She looked behind her, back at the sea.
I'm sorry, she thought.
She moved forward. The direction of the sun was the only place she was headed. She freely roams now as a soul. A soul..
She was not an almighty spirit of nature. She was not the embodiment of air. She was not a goddess with the power to give life. She was a soul. Remember, I am a soul. There is nothing wrong with that. A smile formed on her face again. She could still be useful. While she may not be able to partake in human activities, she did not seem to mind. There were other things out there and she believed it. She could be just as useful as any other natural creation in the universe. There was a place she could go and things she could do. Perhaps there were other souls for her to meet and maybe her questions on whether there is a great spirit or a god could be answered. She was hopeful, she believed in everything. She continued to float away, following the clouds and the straight rays toward the sun. Things will come and go, she knew that. She knew all about it. She has gone, and now she must find a new purpose. She will find that purpose in a new place.
She followed the sun. She was finding her new home.