𝟎𝟕. lost in the woods somewhere in new jersey

seven.
( the lightning thief. )
❛ lost in the woods somewhere in New Jersey. ❜

DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY had never felt so foreign to Percy, two weeks ago it would've been part of his daily routine yet now it felt almost like a luxury. It'd been just about two weeks since he'd been beyond Camp Half-Blood and leaving felt unnatural as he sat between Colette and Grover, gazing out the window at every passing car, every McDonald's, every gas station and every billboard.

Beside him, Grover sat as anxious as ever, fiddling with the hem of his jacket. And to the other side of him, Colette sat staring outside the window with such wonder like a child entering disneyland. Her leg shook methodically as she sat in her own daze, watching every little thing they passed.

"So far so good." hummed the green-eyed boy, "Ten miles and not a monster in sight." His tone was sure and sprinkled with confidence as he shrugged his shoulders.

In response, Annabeth gave him a frown. "It's bad luck to talk that way, Percy." She scolded, leaning over grover to shake her head at him with a disapproving scowl.

"Remind me again," Percy narrowed his eyes, "why do you hate me so much?" he demanded to know, raising a curious eyebrow at the irritated expression uncovered across face.

"I don't hate you." she rolled her eyes, crossing her arms with a look like disbelief.

Percy made a noise to contradict the blonde, "Could've fooled me."

the blonde let out a scoff and she tentatively folded her cap of invisibility. "Look ... we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals." she insisted.

"Why?" Percy continued to pest.

She sighed. "How many reasons do you want?" she raised her eyebrows, "One time my mom caught Poseidon with his girlfriend in Athena's temple, which is hugely disrespectful. Another time, Athena and Poseidon competed to be the patron god for the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city after her." she seemed quite pleased at the second story, her shoulders straightening as she told it.

"They must really like olives."

"Obviously a lot more than they did fish." Percy's head snapped to the brunette next to him. she was leaning into her chair and twisted a rubix cube that he'd seen one of the Stoll brothers give her as a 'you're-going-on-a-quest!' 'hope-you-don't-die!' present and she had looked at it with faint disinterest though she seemed to quite enjoy it now. she was smirking slightly at the sight of Percy's expression.

From the front seat, Argus made a sound almost like laughter—it was the first sign of emotion Percy had seen from the multi-eyed man. "What about Artemis? Are our parents rivals too?" Asked the dark-haired boy.

She shrugged, "Not that i know of. It's more his... offspring that cause trouble for the gods." Her tone was pointed, directed right at him as he knew it would be. "To think of all the half brothers and sisters you've got in the world... wonder if they're all as bright as you or maybe you're just special."

Percy plastered on a sarcastic smile, "Has anybody ever told you you're a pleasure to be around?"

"You're the first."