Chapter 15: Trace

Xenotime Street
11:33 PM

"Q, I just sent you the upload code on that hologram. Can you figure out where Nexus is from it?" Luke said as he jumped from building to building. Xenotime Street was a part of the city that Giovanni practically owned.

"Potentially, it may take a minute, the encryption on this is tight." Q replied.

"I wouldn't expect anything less, he's one incredibly crafty son of a bitch ain't he?" Luke said as he stopped to perch by the edge of the roof.

"Not better than me..." Q's voice cut.

Luke saw a small building wedged into others, it was Giovanni's Cosa Nostra Bistro. It seemed very classy.

"I'm on Gambetti territory now... I need to thread lightly, his estate isn't too far from here. Taking on the Syndicate and Gambetti in the same night...? I don't have to wake up for work tomorrow, what do I care?"

Gambetti Estate
11:43PM

The Phantom silently approached Gambetti Estate, the darkness providing a shroud for his presence. The sprawling mansion stood as a symbol of power, and its eerie stillness hinted at the secrets hidden within. Luke's eyes glowed with determination as he surveyed the surroundings.

He looked one more time and felt a huge sink in his heart... he clenched his fist.

"Why has it come to this brother..." Luke mused to himself. "I hope you can understand that if I don't do this- I go to prison for a long time, they hate mutants and hate vigilantes even more in there, plus, I've got to get my friend out too."

Luke was having hard time approaching or making any moves... this wasn't just some other guy, this was his family.

"You won't ever know it was me, Giovanni."

The Phantom approached the main entrance of Gambetti Estate. Keeping to the edges of the sprawling grounds, he overheard hushed conversations and glimpsed a few guards patrolling the perimeter.

"How the hell am I going to get in there?"

The Phantom thought, his eyes scanning the surroundings for any unusual activity.

As he neared the mansion, a faint electronic hum caught his attention. Following the sound, he discovered a security camera overlooking the estate. The Phantom's gloved hand reached into his utility belt, producing a small device that disabled the camera temporarily.

"Q, I'm near the mansion. Keep an eye on the security systems. I need to find any connections to the Syndicate or Nexus." Luke communicated through his earpiece.

"Disabling all of Gambetti's cameras now." Q responded.

As The Phantom moved deeper into the estate, he encountered a secluded area that seemed heavily guarded. Stealthily navigating through the shadows, he eavesdropped on a conversation between Giovanni Gambetti and a mysterious figure, their identities concealed by the dim light.

Giovanni spoke with authority, "Nexus is growing bolder, and the Syndicate's influence is spreading. We need to fortify our operations and strike back."

The Phantom's focus intensified as the mysterious figure responded. "Crimson has been overseeing some crucial exports. Nexus is relying on us to maintain order in the city."

While absorbing the conversation, The Phantom felt the familiar vibration of his communicator. Q's voice whispered through the earpiece.

"I've located a potential link to Nexus. There's encrypted data in a secure room nearby. Access it, and we might uncover more about their plans."