Chapter 5

"Just some teeny, tiny eight-foot sharks."

A strange rumble is felt through the station.
"What's that?" Mac asks.

"Have you seen Meying?" You asks the first worker you see. They shake their head and you run off with the others.

You hear a scream.

"Meying!" Suyin shouts and you all run in that direction.

When the hallway split Mac and Suyin run in one direction. Jonas puts his hand on your back to lead you in the same direction as him, so you don't separate from him. You two take the other way. Running and shouting for Meying you finally notice her curled up in a corner.

"Meying!" You call you her as you run to her, she opens her arms for you when you reach her. You envelope her in a comforting hug, soothing her.

"Are you okay?" You ask her.

"There's a monster and it's watching us." She says and you look up at Jonas, worried. Jonas turns to the window, you follow his line of sight to a huge bite mark on the window. You gape at the sight.

"Meying!" Suyin comes running along with Mac from the other direction you and Jonas came from. You let go of the girl for her to run to her mother.

"Mummy!"

A whale comes into view from the window and hits the window. Making the little girl jump.

"It's okay. Its just a whale." Her mother tells her.

"Wait. Where's Lucy?" You ask, when you stand up again. "Where's the mom?" You add for Jonas, since he doesn't know who Lucy is.

Then The Meg grabs Gracie, killing her. Suyin takes Meying's face away from the scene and you stare in shock. Jonas had taken his arm in front of you in an protective manner on instinct.

The mission bridge

"Is the station all right?" Morris asks.

"Report." Dr. Zhang orders.

"No leaks. No visible damage." Wall reports.

"All right, team. Initiate emergency protocols." Mac orders. "And nobody is to go near the water."

"If you insist." Jax says as she takes Meying from her mother and puts her on her lap, while she works.

"Turn off all the underwater lighting." Jonas advises Mac. "Restrict the crew to essential areas."

"You said it was impossible for it to get up here." DJ tells Suyin.

"It should have been." She tells him.

"You guys, take a look at this." Jax says. "When the glider came up, the thermocline was intact, so it was one degree Celsius, right?"

"Yeah." Mac says.

"But a minute later, when the evolution came up, the temperature increased by 25 degrees." Jax then says. "A shark could come right through there. Twenty sharks for that matter."

"When the Meg hit the Origin, it slammed into the thermal vent." Jonas says.

"Those can release millions of gallons per minute. The heat from that vent cleared the path through the freezing cold layer." Zhang says.

"Are you saying we opened up a super highway for giant sharks?" Morris asks.

"Not exactly. It seems like it was a transitory event. The temperatures are returned to normal and the gap is closed."

"Yeah. But not before a massive prehistoric killing machine decided to come up and say 'Hi'." DJ says.

"Hey, look, we're wasting time. That thing is out there. We need to find it and kill it." You're about to agree, but Suyin stands up abruptly.