Chapter 12: Jessica's POV

When Ari and I arrive at the beach, it is almost completely empty, apart from a family building sandcastles down near the shore and an old man walking his dog, although it looks more like the dog is taking him for a walk. The eager Labrador drags the man in a zigzag pattern along the beach, clearly following the scent of something. The old man seems well used to his dog's behaviour and merely holds on tight to the lead allowing the dog to lead the way.

We get out of the car and grab towels and a picnic basket from the boot. I decided to wear my favourite denim shorts and a warm red hoodie. Arianna has a white skirt with black polka dots on and has matched it with a burgundy tank top. She looks gorgeous. Ari's mood seems to have picked up a good bit since this morning and she is back to her normal happy self.

We make our way down onto the beach and once we have everything set out, we hear the guys arrive. Noah is driving and beeps the horn several times to get our attention. Ryan has half his body leaning out of the back window as he shouts the words to "Britney Spears- Toxic". I swear the boy has no shame.

Ari and I are still laughing at them as they approach us. "I think I am going to need to delete whoever's Spotify account was connected to the aux cord." Arianna says as Dean sits down beside me.

"That would be me." Ryan replies proudly.

"Britney Spears? Really?"

"Britney is an icon." He states with no room for argument causing us all to start laughing again.

"Hey." Dean says while gently shoving me with his elbow.

"Hi." I offer him a shy smile.

"You look nice."

"You too." I blush.

He does too. He has on a pair of navy swim trunks and a white hoodie with an eagle on the back. His curly brown hair looks as good as ever and he has a light dusting of stubble on his chin. He must not have shaved recently but I don't mind it at all.

"Let's eat before the food gets cold." Noah exclaims before digging into the plastic bag full of takeout from the local chip shop. He passes me a bag of chips and a doner kebab.

"Jess, wait till you try these kebabs they are the absolute best." He smiles at me.

"You too Ari, I think you're gonna love them." He says to her, passing her some food as well.

She thanks him before taking a seat beside him and taking a bite out of her kebab. She moans her approval. "God, this is so good!"

"You've got a bit of sauce on you" I giggle. 'A bit of sauce' is the understatement of the year. She has mayonnaise on both cheeks and ketchup smeared on her nose.

"Did I get it?" She asks making a half-assed attempt to wipe her right cheek.

"Nope." Ryan helpfully replies, causing Ari to send an eye roll his way.

"Here, let me." Noah leans forward and wipes the ketchup from her nose before licking his thumb clean. "All better."

I nearly choke on my chips. Dean helps me out by patting my back while I try to get myself under control.

Once all the food has been demolished, the boys start up a game of football. I feel like I might burst if I move after eating all that food and lie down on Ari with my head in her lap. "Who let me eat all that?" I moan while clutching my sore stomach.

"Girl, you only have yourself to blame." She chuckles. "And having your fat head on my stomach really isn't helping my food baby."

I laugh but it quickly turns to a noise of discomfort as I try to move off her.