Chapter 1 - Saudade

On a grassy hill overlooking a lush park, two girls sit, enamored by one another. They smile at each other, one blonde and the other pink, happy and content with their lives. The blonde's love everlasting, but the pink's life fleeting.

A gush of water from a passing car, splashing Ana Kravens. She let out a noise of disgust and backed away from the road, heels clacking on the concrete. She looked down at her emerald dress that was now soaking wet with muddy water. I just bought this dress, she thought. Why does this always happen to me?

She stood on the sidewalk of an empty, quiet street in the small city of Lexingside, an hour away from her hometown of Morganwood. A nightclub raged on behind her, it's blinking neon lights bathing her in red and green, as she waited for a taxi to come, but it didn't seem like any would pass the lamp-lit corner. She would have called for a ride if her phone hadn't died an hour ago. The only thing that seemed to be an option was to go back into the club and ask for one of her friend's phones. Cora was still inside, and Ana knew she would be more than willing to lend her phone to her.

A shiny, big truck slowed and stopped in front of her. The passenger window rolled down to reveal a pale man with a mischievous smile. He had pale skin, blue-gray eyes, and brown hair combed forward, a way to hide his male pattern baldness. Ana found it amusing.

"Deacon," Ana smiled and approached the truck. "How did you know I would be here?"

Deacon was barely a friend to Ana, only somebody she spent a night with when she was feeling bored. He knew of her feelings, but still would drop anything he was doing to give her a ride or help out. Ana knew of his affection towards her, but his eagerness to please was too convenient to question.

Deacon motioned toward the nightclub with a tattooed hand. "You told me you would be here on Friday nights."

She sighed and rested her arms on the edge of the passenger window. "I did, didn't I? So you came here to see if I needed a ride?"

He adjusted his grip on the steering wheel and shrugged, a small smile still lighting up his face. "Suppose I did. I was also hoping you would, maybe, get dinner with me?"

She smiled. "Dinner? That's it?"

He smiled back and glanced down at her ruined dress. "Oh, I don't know. I suppose I could get you out of that dress, too."

Ana looked up and down the street. A few cars passed by, and a group of chattering and drunk girls made their way across the street. No taxi in sight. I've only had a few drinks, she mused. It can't be that bad. I think I can live with Deacon's terrible flirting for just a night.

She looked back at him and shrugged nonchalantly. "I suppose I'm convinced."

He grinned and leaned over in his seat to open the door. "Come right in, my lady."

—_—

Ana groaned and turned around in the bed, stopping halfway when she felt a warm body pressed against her. She opened her eyes and looked at a sleeping Deacon, her gaze slowly roaming the room as she tried to remember last night's events.

Oh, shit. That's right. She had spent the night with Deacon, without the agreed-upon dinner. She sighed and rose into a sitting position.

This was a habit between them for the past year or so. A night spent together, with no strings attached. It wasn't terrible sex, she always enjoyed it in the moment, but in the mornings she always seemed to dislike Deacon's presence. It was like the glamour had worn off and he was just some regular guy. Despite that, she always came back.

Deacon's house was not a house, but a very large trailer. His parents were absurdly rich and so he had enough money to screw around for the rest of his life. Ana had an inheritance, too, but none so luxurious as his, definitely not enough to buy a fancy fifth-wheel. Silver appliances, boring gray floorboards, and a lush queen bed. A trailer fit for a wastrel.