Chapter 19: Lacuna

Much to Ana's discontent, Deacon followed her out of the trailer.

"There's something I've always wondered," He called out to her. "Why has your father not killed me yet? I've been to your house a thousand times and yet...he seems to never be there. I wonder why that is?"

"My father's dead." Ana replied, whipping around to look at him.

"Not that one," A small smile crept up on his face. "The one with the same eyes as yours."

He knows I'm a cambion, of course he also knows I don't have a human father. It was true that Marchosias never mentioned Deacon, or even asked about him. He didn't seem to care about her love life, and Ana was always okay with that. She almost wished he had asked now, or maybe even feigned interest.

She set her gaze on Deacon. "What do you want from me? Why am I so important?"

He crossed his arms. "What everyone wants. A greater purpose to their life. You can be that greater purpose, you know, if only you listen to me..."

"What purpose is that?" She splayed her hands. "Being an incubator for your ugly spawn?"

He laughed, putting his hands on his hips. "I don't think you understand. Think about it. I take you to my family's facility, and your father can't hurt you. All demons are secretly afraid of the Creed of Solomon, did you know that? We're the only things they won't go near."

Ana's lips pressed into a thin line. "And, what? I go with you and I give up my body for the sake of humanity?"

"Well, yes. You're not seeing the bigger picture here. If we have a child, they would be so powerful that they could rival against the demons and possibly even do the things that only they can do. Isn't that exciting? For hundreds of years, the demons have killed our kind just for the fact that we were similar to them. Now, we have a chance, Ana. That's something you'll never have with your father, to be better than him."

"No," She slowly shook her head and backed away. "Don't ever come near me again. Don't text me, don't call me, don't even come to my house. I don't want to see your disgusting face ever again."

He laughed as she turned and walked down the dirt road, away from him and all his dark secrets.

—_—

Ana walked home. This wasn't her first time making a trek across town back to her own house. On some nights when her phone was dead but she still wanted to leave Deacon's place before he awoke, she made the one-and-a-half hour journey back to her own home. The current journey wasn't too bad, anyway. It gave her time to think, and to cry.

The streets were quiet, and nobody bothered her as she made her way home. Street lights marked her way, but as she started walking on the lone, desolate road that led to her house, she was left with only her phone's flashlight to guide her way. She had taken off her wedge heels about halfway and now was bare foot, cursing at every stone and stick she stepped on. Despite that, she didn't give in and call a ride. She didn't feel like waiting for one now that she was so close to home.

The woods at night were nothing to mess with, and Ana knew that now more than ever. On both sides she could here animals she couldn't see stalk through the woods. A fox's scream to her left, a owl's call as it flies above her. No cars traveled this road at night, as it only let to her home and a few abandoned properties.

When she saw the solar lights of her driveway she sighed in relief, but stopped in her tracks when she noticed a figure standing just at the beginning of the driveway, next to her mailbox. Her first thought was Deacon, but no. The person was too broad and big to be Deacon, who was more on the scrawny side.