Chapter 7: Velleity

Somebody was pounding on the door. Not like Judas' knock from yesterday, but more loud and demanding. Ana rose from the couch, rubbing her bleary eyes and trying to remember what happened last night.

She had stayed on the couch after the brothers had left. She had planned on staying awake in case Judas tried to come back and harass her some more, but she must've fallen asleep at some point. She was exhausted from the night before, when she only got an hour of sleep.

The loud knocking started again, and she rose from the couch. "Alright, I'm coming! Fuck," She walked into the hallway and yanked the door open.

Deacon was on the other side, hand raised to knock again. He was dressed in an old band t-shirt and faded blue jeans. He looked as if he crawled out of bed and hadn't bothered to fix his appearance.

He beamed a smile at her. "You're still alive! Was your phone broke? You didn't respond to my messages or calls."

Ana ran a hand through her hair. "I was busy yesterday, and then I fell asleep on the couch. What do you want?"

He shrugged with that same stupid smile on his face. "I thought to check in on ya. Is that a crime?"

Ana sighed and rubbed her eyes. "I don't know, Deacon. It's too early for you."

"Well, it is actually..." He checked his watch. "Two in the afternoon."

She shrugged. "Whatever. You checked up on me. I'm fine. Do you need anything else?"

He considered her for a moment, tilting his head. Ana knew that look on his face. He was about to ask her something he knew she might not agree to.

"Why don't I make coffee for you?" He asked.

Ana was silent for a moment, considering his question. I want him out of my hair as soon as possible, but I can't turn down coffee.

She didn't say a word to him, but left the door open as she turned and walked away.

"So...that's a yes?" Deacon called out to her.

"I'm taking a shower."

—_—

Ana walked down the stairs, a fresh set of clothes on and her wet hair tied into a dutch braid. Deacon was at the kitchen table, reading the newspapers she had forgot to throw away. A steaming cup of coffee was across from him. She took the cup of coffee and took a sip, wincing at the bitter taste.

"So, what had you so busy yesterday that you missed my calls?" Deacon asked as she went to the fridge and grabbed the carton of milk.

"I was cleaning, and then I had a friend visit." She filled the coffee with milk, almost to the brim. "I don't check my phone all the time. You're not my first priority, you know."

He fake-gasped. "Oh, I'm wounded! How will I ever recover from this heartbreak?" He clutched his heart, a shocked looked on his face. Ana rolled her eyes before dropping a few sugar cubes into her coffee.

"Charming." She sipped her coffee.

They sat in silence for a few minutes as Ana drank her coffee. Deacon read the newspaper, or at least seemed to be. His finger messed with the corner of the page as his eyes roved over the paper. He looked up at Ana when she was halfway done with her coffee.

"Got any plans for today?"

The cup stopped close to her lips as she raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "No...why?"

"We could go to the diner and eat. You haven't eaten anything yet, have you?"

Ana didn't answer him at first, sipping her coffee as she thought. Lunch with Deacon means hearing him talk about himself for an hour...but it's also free food. Can't turn down a free burger at Motty's Diner.