Chapter 16: Josh's POV

My heart was beating so hard in my cheat I could hear it in my ears. The worst possible things going through my head. What if she didn't survive? What if this was the end? What if Juliet would just die?

No. No.

She couldn't just die. I couldn't let her.

I sped to me and Ava's house at an insane speed. My hand clenched around the steering wheel. I couldn't think straight, my head spun as I focused only on getting to my house.

I parked my car messily and practically jumped out. I pulled off my hoodie and shirt as I thought my house to my backyard. I ran as I got outside. Alyssa was sobbing and kneeling at the edge of the water. I moved her back roughly and jumped in.

The cold water sending chills all over me, my skin stung. I swam down, pushing myself forward. I spotted Juliet's unconscious, pale body slowly drifting lower, and lower. Her hair rose around her head.

I rushed myself towards her and reached my hand out. God she was freezing. I wrapped my arms around her and ripped off her clothes, bit by bit to my advantage of pulling her out.

I managed to resurface her, gasping for air and throwing Juliet onto the ice. I see Alyssa shivering, a slight hope in her eyes a she sees me pull her out.

I pull myself out and crawl next to her. I put my hand to her neck, my years of medic school a blur in my head.

Pulse
Pulse
Pulse
Pulse
Check her pulse

Words repeating themselves in my head. I move two fingers all around the throat.

No pulse.

My stomach lurches. I pull her down the ice and closed to me. I start performing CPR.

Panic is fogging my head. My hands moving in their own. I yell at Alyssa inbetween movements.

"Get her warm clothes! A hot water bottle, a hoodie, heating pads-  doing care! Just something!"

The words are harsh and snap Alyssa out of her trance. She jumps up and runs indoors to get stuff. I'm harshly performing CPR, my movements desperate, not the way med school taught me but right now it didn't matter.

She remained unmoving. My heart best faster. Alyssa, smartly, called the ambulance just as she realised Juliet fell. The medics surrounded me. My medics. She didn't call any hospital, she called the hospital I work at. Thank God. I trust my colleges more than anyone.

The nurses are taken aback by my half-dressed, soaked state. Unprofessional. Something they'd never seen me ass. Despite this they surround Juliet and continue CPR. A moment of weakness fills me and I feel my vision blur.

The next moment Juliet is being carried away. A friend of mine who worked with me stayed behind. He made sure I was find and helped my dress before he dragged me with him into the ambulance vehicle. I was sat in the front seats, anxiously shaking my leg wondering what was going in behind me. The ambulance sirens ringing in my ears and I became more and more detached. Zoning out and letting my mind fill my head with the worst scenarios.

She couldn't die. She couldn't. Juliet. I'd never expected it. Never saw it ahead of me. God please promise me you won't take her, not yet, she still has so much to live for, so much to see.

So much me and her need to improve between us.

This is is the I realise this might be a last chance God will give me with Juliet. Please. I'll do anything. I can't loose her. She is everything I didn't realise I needed.

Someone I was similar to, someone who fit perfectly with me if it weren't for our stubborness. God if only I'd treated her better, If she didn't make it I'd regret it forever.

I would never forgive myself. Never.