𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟭𝟰

Jenna sipped her black coffee and looked down at her phone with a frown on her face.

Hungover Jenna thought saving his new number under Bad Bradshaw was awfully funny. Especially when his profile picture was of a weird guy with a mask. No other person called her Lavender, so she was positive it was him. But there remained yet two concerns.

There was a tick under her text. Mr. Bradshaw had seen the text three days ago, and he had left her in the seen zone.

Seen-fucking-zone.

Jenna scoffed angrily, slamming her cup on the table a tad too loud and a few nearby residents created distance between her table and their path. Smart people.

Who did he think he was?

Secondly, why did it show he was offline while there was a green dot under his name? What sort of glitch was it?

Was he online or offline so Jenna can gladly curse his perfect ass out and then block him.

Lilith told her it was some sort of setting. When did Jenna get so technologically challenged? Was she living under a rock all these years?

Crushing the cup with her hands, she walked over and threw the plastic container in the trash can. Their cafeteria's coffee was one of the most bitter coffees, at least something put her sour mood to shame.

On weekends, hospitals were crowded more than usual. It might have to do something with the bar fights across the lane or it merely being the fall season. Tourists swarm the city beaches, and prices of restaurants and hotels drop. Vacation and culture and laughs reverberated on every street.

As Jenna entered the ward, a few people watched her, and all of a sudden nurses began whispering. This was no longer an unusual occurrence. She had come to terms with people's noses in her business. It didn't matter if she was cast around as a joker in the circus at the hospital. The purpose of her visit was to heal and treat.

Jenna ignored most people but smiled at some. Jenna straightened her spine as Ms. Deborah walked out of a patient's room. In a surprise move, her only idol-Dr. Deborah winked at her with a mysterious smile as she walked by.

Wait.

What just happened?

She didn't know Ms. Deborah could wink.

And that was an absolutely stupid assumption to make.

Shaking her head, she pulled out her notepad where the details of her new patient were written down, and moved towards the patient's room.

Hannah Matthew.

Age: 8 years

Diagnosis: Brain hemorrhage after an accident a day ago. She was operated by Dr. Deborah. Mild injury on ribs, ankle fracture-

At least seven medical practitioners were standing at the door of Hannah's room. Even a lady police officer was giggling at something. Jenna's height was average and it was the first time she felt having mile-long legs might have an advantage after all.

"Excuse me, what's happening?" Jenna leaned on her right and whispered to another doctor.

The second that the other doctor turned around, she gasped in horror and her cheeks reddened.

"I-I'm sorr-yy, Dr. W-wor-"

It was then she heard.

The deep timbre. A chuckle.

It was as velvety as she remembered all these years. A tad rusty like it had been too long since he made that noise. But it had the effect on her that it always had.

The nurses made space for her to pass through but her mind had gone numb with that damned voice. And her fragile heart galloped as Jenna finally entered the room.

Only to see Maddox Bradshaw kneeling at Hannah's small wheelchair and smiling at her with light eyes.

Goosebumps rose over her forearms when the same grey eyes connected to her across the room, and she had to hold back from opening her mouth. Her lavender eyes widened in disbelief as if a sudden jolt of electricity had coursed through her veins leaving her momentarily stunned.

He slowly stood up without taking his eyes off her. Hannah turned around and said something to him with a soft giggle. Her small angelic face was shining no matter how many bandages covered her forehead. And yet he just kept looking at her with an expression she couldn't decipher.

Jenna was going to faint from the intensity of his gaze, and anything she said right now would come out as gibberish.

Black crisp shirt, grey pants, and raven hair messed in all directions. Sharp jaw, soft lips, perfect eyebrows. His tattoos were hidden underneath but Jenna knew most of them. She remembered he got new ones too. There was a little cut on his cheek, but his stubble did a good job hiding it.

Breathing became a chore every time she saw him. Him with his aura. Him with that masculine scent. Him with that body and veiny hands. Him.

Just freaking him.

It took a minute for Jenna to finally conclude what she saw.

Maddox Bradshaw was here.

And he was smirking at her.

"They said I'll find you here," he looked over the crowd behind her that had multiplied significantly in the few seconds Jenna took him in.

She blinked.

Then got pissed again.

Did he leave her in the seen-zone for three days just to drop at her workplace unannounced?

Maddox tilted his head, and his eyes sharpened. But that smirk didn't waiver.

Jenna was well aware of what that meant.

Now that he was finally here, he wasn't planning to leave anytime soon.