𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟮𝟭

{6 years ago}

The week next to Chase's engagement announcement was one of the most torturous of her life. Jenna and Chase used to be one of the most shipped couples at the University of Greenwich. They were adored by most of the departments and even the professors. Jenna remembered how her Immunology professor once let her leave early because it was Chase's birthday.

And when everything was taken away from her-when friendly smiles became sympathetic pats, when greetings became apologies, when jealous peers turned into vengeful pity slangs, Jenna contemplated going back to her father's mansion.

On one hand, Jenna remembered the liberation of being away from New York, where her father lived alone with a few caretakers. On the other, she wondered how she'd move on with the entirety of her existence associated as the dumped girlfriend of Chase Terrain.

Jenna cleared her head navigating through the crowded corridors of her university. The air was heavy with worry, and the wind was too cold even in February. Four years spent in London, and she still didn't adapt to its weather.

Maybe it was a sign for her to leave.

Jenna kept her head down even though she wasn't recognizable in her current outfit. A peach-coloured beanie with wavy hair reaching her waist did all the work. Her black sweater didn't provide her with enough warmth and neither did the black jeans or boots save her.

At least she looked mediocre. Neither too noticeable nor too despicable.

Silently, Jenna wrote her name and incoming time in the entry diary. The library of the University of Greenwich unfolded with historic grandeur. With its vaulted ceilings and reading nooks, it whispered tales of academia amidst the harmony of classical architecture with cream pillars and modern furniture.

The place wasn't as packed as she anticipated. An inaudible sigh of relief left her mouth. Walking towards the wooden bench in the corner, Jenna slowly kept her white tote bag on the table. A huge glass window mirrored her left, and she might have lost herself in the sight of tall trees, and gloomy skies.

The wind blew like a whistle against the glass pane, and there was such silence in her heart. Such unpredictability.

Eighteen-year-old Jenna would've never known the pain of heartbreak or betrayal. She wouldn't have been scared of looking into people's eyes. She wouldn't have known the inevitable helplessness in life.

Sometimes there were things you couldn't fix.

Sometimes pain was just pain with no lessons attached.

The chair across her creaked in motion, flustering her.

Muscular tattooed arms flexed as he took out books from his leather bag. His hair had grown a little, falling over his forehead in thick raven strands. The silver chain he always wore was intact, contrasting against a well-fitted black T-shirt followed by dark cargo pants and black boots.

Maddox didn't say a word and kept piling his books on top of each other.

Forensic psychology combined with cybersecurity.

There were other notes attached to his books, with no sign of colorful highlights or sticky notes, unlike Jenna's notes. For the first time, she saw his handwriting. Perfect cursive ink in straight lines on white sheets.