The Night Is Right For Me

By Leslie McGuire

---------------------------------

Does Nat the cat get things all wrong? He sleeps all day, not all night long.

The moon comes up, and Nat plays ball.

The dogs think that's not right at all! The dogs say, "Nat! It's time for bed. A cat should be asleep instead."

One day the dogs say, "You could try to stay up while the sun is high."

"I'll try it for a day or two," says Nat. "Then I can be like you.'

Nat plays all day. He naps all night. The dogs say, "Now he'll do things right."

But when day comes and Nat wakes up, he cleans his fish and feeds his cup!

He flips pancakes. They miss the pan. They miss the plate. They hit the fan.

So Nat the cat goes out to play. He gets his bike. It rolls away.

Then Nat the cat goes for a swim. He gets his float. It sinks on him.

Then down the slide Nat goes too hard. He ends up in the dogs' back yard.

"This does not work! I am a mess! I get things wrong!"

The dogs say, "Yes!"

So Nat goes home, yes, home to stay. He naps all night. He naps all day.

And when it gets dark Nat wakes up, he feeds his fish, and cleans his cup.

He flips pancakes right on his plate- not in the fan. Mmm! They taste great!

Nat gets his bike and rides away.

The moon is up.

“I'll swim and play!”

"I'll try the slide and get it right. It's best to swim at night."

He tells the dogs, "For cats, the best is nights for play and days for rest."

"So that is what is best for me," says Nat the cat. Do you agree?