4. First Impressions (Z)

My mom is a black and modest woman

My mom is a black and modest woman. She always wears skirts and is constantly covered up. Her hair is usually wrapped and her facial features include a defined jawline, but rather bony, her eyes are dark brown while maintaining an almond-shaped figure. Her dark brow skin typically glows with the right amount of sun and moisturizer. She recently got a job working at the church. I have no idea what she does.

We don't look that similar, I look more like my dad, who is also a black man. He's lighter than my mom. His narrow eyes are a lighter brown and his hair is dark. My dad is more laid back and chill, he lets me do what I want with rules. Like I have to be good and do what's expected to have certain privileges. Which is fine and normal.

I'm not too unhappy about having them about my parents. We all have things we can improve from, some more than others. I'm proud to be their daughter as they're both hardworking and appreciated people.

School seems to be flying by rather quickly, we are close to our second semester. Before winter break, they are having auditions for the school play. There are no details about what it is yet. "Zara, get up in time for school. Your alarm has been ringing for some time."

My dad sitting on my bed, making me roll towards him taps me on my thigh. I shift around trying to face the reality of getting up. "Come one kid, get up. Time to learn!"

I shift around once more, stretching and stirring awake. The day hits my eyes and I can no longer feel the satisfaction of closing them. So with that, I slowly start to get up, looking at my dad with a tired expression. "Good morning," he says, a smile plastered on his face.

"If it was a good morning, I'd be rich," I say then rub my eyes. I move the blanket away from my body and stand up. "Bye Daddy," I say, shoving him out of my room.

"Love you too kid," he says kissing my forehead and then leaving. I roll my eyes, shitting my door. Before showering, I open my window, letting the fresh air of the morning fill my room. I also let the light shine through my blinds creating a rainbow on my white sheets.

As I pick out my clothes, a floral print top, and jeans, I make my way to the bathroom. I turn on the shower, letting it cloud the mirror before stepping in. The steaming water hits my chest, dripping down to the floor. I quickly but thoroughly clean every part of my body as I'm already running behind.

The water hitting my face wakes me up fully. When I'm satisfied with my cleaning, I wrap a towel around myself and step out. When I'm dressed and ready for the day, I step out.

I put my things back into my room, cracked my window, and headed downstairs. I stuff my things into my book bag and put it onto my back. Saying goodbye to my parents, I leave for school.

I've been riding my bike to school for as long as I can remember. I've always enjoyed being alone, being able to enjoy my surroundings without constant noise or speaking. Time to myself in the morning is just what I need to start my day.

I ride to the school, into the gate, and then to the bike lockers. I hop off my bike and immediately my ears are filled with the voices of, Kamari, Ruby, Ariana, and Serena. "Zara!"

"Hey..." I say, awkwardly smiling at the four. They smell of the strongest perfume ever and I'm pretty sure all of my nostrils are burned straight off.

"Are you gonna audition?" Ruby asks, her blue eyes staring at me intently.

"What's it on?" I ask as we walk towards the school.

"Heathers!" Ruby squeals. "I love Heathers!"

"Okay, I don't know."

"What? You should audition," Kamari says. "Imagine the new girl coming in and just being the best. You'd make a huge first impression."

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Tessa always gets the lead roles," Serena says, rolling her eyes.

"Okay, I've been hearing about this girl from everyone. Who is Tessa?" I ask. Despite the amount of times this girl has been talked about, I've never seen her. Or maybe I have?

"Oh, speak of the devil," Kamari says, looking in front of her.

Tessa is a mixed girl, black and white. Her hair is golden and curly, reaching below her shoulders. Her eyes are a light brown and her lips are full. With rosy cheeks and a white smile, she looks over to our group.

She looks me up and down, her slim body shifting to one side. Her tall figure moves closer to us, two people following behind.

With her pink attire, she reaches us. "Hey, Kamari! Who's this?"

Her face nods towards me and then she looks at me, up and down. Her body stays in front of Kamari but her eyes look at me. "Names Zara."

"Zara, how cute. Did you just move here?"

"Yeah like a couple of months ago," I say, her face is unrecognizable, never seen her.

"Cool and just so you know. I'M auditioning for Veronica, so literally audition for anyone else. M'kay?" she says, a slight annoyance in her voice.

"Okay," I'm so auditioning.

"By the way sis, dad's cooking dinner so be home by six," Tessa says and walks off.

"She's your sister?" I ask because they look nothing alike.

"Stepsister, her mom married my dad," she says and we start to walk to her locker. When we get there I lean against the lockers, thinking.

"So? Are you gonna audition?" Ariana asks, looking at me.

"Sure why not," I say shrugging my shoulders. The bell rings shortly after and we walk to our first class. We all walk each other so we engage in more conversation. Eventually curling back to our first.

"Who you gonna audition for?" Ruby asks me.

"Veronica."