7. Mystery (Z)

Although I loved seeing the look on her face when she realized the new girl got the role she was so confident she'd be getting, I'm not sure how I feel playing a lead

Although I loved seeing the look on her face when she realized the new girl got the role she was so confident she'd be getting, I'm not sure how I feel playing a lead. I just don't like being told what to do by some stuck-up popular girl. Now I have to deal with it, all because of my stubbornness.

I took my time reading through the script and highlighting my lines last night, trying to prepare for today. On the phone with the girls, we talk about the play. "How does it feel to have to play one of your sister's guinea pigs?"

"Shut up," Kamari responds to my comment. "I'm pretty sure it's the only thing she's happy about playing this role."

"Shit, I'd be happy too," Ariana adds with a laugh at the end. My phone slips into my pocket and my backpack goes onto my back. I hop on my bike and ride out of the garage and down the driveway. I listen as they continue to talk about the silly and unnecessary things of the world.

I laugh along at the gossip and stupid drama Ruby has gotten herself into. I haven't known these girls long but I know them enough to know how they navigate life and how they choose to spend it.

Ruby happens to be someone who inserts herself into drama, knowing every single detail about everything. She's not a drama starter though, just a very good listener. She's sweet, like the kindest person you'll meet. Sad to see people make fun of her because of the people she surrounds herself with.

She happens to only have black friends which makes sense given the fact she has a black family. I'm pretty sure her bio mom was friends with her now mom but she doesn't talk about it much which is understandable.

Serena is someone who cares about her looks, constantly checking her face and outfit. She tends to send fit checks in the morning asking for validation. She spends her extra time coaching and doing sports. Her parents don't let her work and seem to be known as helicopter parents. Most of the time she misses out on outings because her parents are too worried.

Kamari is the sister of Tessa but they aren't similar at all. She seems to be more humble and kind. It also seems like she's holding back or angry, hard to explain but she still looks like she is grieving the loss of her mom. Sometimes she just looks... empty.

Ariana has a funny personality and never fails to make someone laugh. Her jokes seem to be the only thing that gets anyone out of a bad mood. She is passionate about acting and loves everything about it, something involving performing is in her future.

We are considered friends now, something I wasn't planning on having due to fear of being alone or being left. They're cool though so I guess it's okay. I just hope no one leaves.

As I park my bike and lock it, I see the girls walking up to me. "You know I drive? If you want, I can pick you up."

"No, it's okay. I like riding my bike. It's like the only time I can be by myself," I responded truthfully.

"Ahh gotcha, let's go," Kimari says and we all walk towards the school, side by side. Arriving at school is an odd feeling I can't seem to name. It's almost uncomfortable like I don't exactly fit in. Even though I'm standing side by side with these well-known girls, I don't fit with them. I often have to remind myself that they chose to be friends with me.

"I just got here and now I have to kiss a guy I barely know."

"Don't worry it's not as bad as it seems. He's not that bad of a kisser," Ruby assures me.

"Ruby!" Serena exclaims.

"What?" she asks, looking confused and oblivious.

"Since when have you kissed him and why don't we know this?!"

"Oh! I've never kissed him," she says, oblivious.

"Oh my god." Serena says with a chuckle.

"What?"

---

A few hours later and it's lunch. Enjoying a turkey sub prepared by my mom, I noticed a note she left. Unfortunately so had Ariana and she quickly grabbed it. "What is this?'

"Ariana please don't," I say begging her not to read it. I have nothing against parents making their kids launch, I'm extremely lazy and appreciate my mom's effort. It's just the notes!

"Don't worry I won't, I think it's cute!" I take the note back.

"No, it's not, it's embarrassing. She does it every time and I don't have the heart to tell her to stop."

"Then don't. I'd love lunch notes from my mom," Kimari says.

"Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you," I say.

"No, of course not. I'm just saying, it shouldn't be something to be ashamed of."

"Yeah, but the thing is- never mind," I say backtracking. I don't want to share too much.

"Okay well, do guys wanna do something after school?" Serena says.

"Are you sure your parents will say yes?"

"I asked them this morning, and they said as long as I came back at 8, fucking 8 bro," we all laugh at the ridicule of her parents. I'm glad my parents let me have freedom.

"I love your parents but goddamn! Can't a girl have a little more independence?" Ariana says.

"No because your dad's cooking slaps, I just hate the way we can't leave the table unless everyone is done," Ruby says laughing.

"Remember when Zara first came over, they would not leave her alone," Serena says.

"Okay, but why were they so busy interviewing me? Was it the point of knowing my blood type? Not only that but they judged me for it! Like sorry, I have type AB negative?"

"No, because who gave you the right to be so different," Serena jokes.

"Oh yeah, my bad for being part of the 1%."

We all finish our food and spend the rest of the time making conversation with other people as we walk the halls. It was going fine until we ran into Tessa and her friends. "Look, it's the bitch who stole your role."

"You mean earned it?" I correct her while looking at her up and down. She talks big for someone who's known as one of Tessa's minions. I seriously have zero clue on who she is.

"Girl, ain't nobody wanna talk to you. Go on about your day," Ariana laughs at her. Me and Tessa make eye contact, her dark eyes piercing into mine. I didn't know not getting a role would make someone so angry. I think if I stare any longer, she'll melt me. Then the bell rings.

Saved by the bell.

"Zara, ask your parents!" Serena says as we part ways. I nod and head into class.

What's there to say? I sat in class attempting to block out the annoying noises of my classmates. History is an easy but boring subject. Throughout the rest of the class, I'm distracted.

Because I can't seem to concentrate when a girl with brown hair stares at me in awe.